Best answer

Notion - Trigger event update database

• 23 December 2021
  • 93 replies

Show first post

93 replies

Hi, 

Please also add me to the list. We really need this feature as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there Anonymous! 👋

That’s totally understandable. I’d love to be able to trigger a Zap when a database item or page is updated in Notion too! Unfortunately I can’t make any promises as to when it will become available. 

Happy to get your vote added but it looks like your Community account was deleted after you replied here so we can’t add your vote. Can you create a new account and reply here to let us know that’s done so we can get your vote added? 

Thanks, we’ll keep an eye out for your reply here!

Add my vote as well + I’d like to have an ETA… It’s been requested for a while now.

please add my vote!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Sathors, @Tinkin Transversal 

I’ve added both of your votes for this feature request, and we’ll notify you via email once an update is available. Thanks!

Please also add my vote to this list. I’m unsure as to how to accomplish a workaround. For me it’s typical to first capture a “to-do” item on the fly (which is when the zap would trigger) but then later add details and a due date, which is when I actually want to leverage the zap to sync that DB item from notion to google calendar. I really hope this feature is released soon!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I wonder for these use cases where we need to be more granular if a Filter by Zapier step would work? A very similar workflow came up yesterday and they were using a filter to only trigger on a specific property:

Let us know if you think that could work! 🙂

It won’t work in general case. To determine which fields were changed you need to know their values before the update. But Updated Database Item event doesn’t give you the previous values, just the current ones.

I wrote a Zap and tested it today using the filter method and Notion’s Status field. One weird thing I discovered is that the “Status” property type doesn’t show in the properties when pushed to Zapier. As a workaround, I added a Formula field with “prop(“Status”)” to duplicate the status as text into the formula field. This comes across fine via API.

So my flow is: User changes status → Notion formula field auto-updates → Zap is triggered on status update → Whatever I want Zapier to do (in my case, Discord notification)

In testing it seems to work fine (around 1.5min delay, but usable)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ColinM 

Notion Zap triggers are “scheduled” (via API polling) and are not instant (via webhooks).

Scheduled app triggers can take from 1-15 minutes to trigger depending on your Zapier plan.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@ColinM

Notion Zap triggers are “scheduled” (via API polling) and are not instant (via webhooks).

Scheduled app triggers can take from 1-15 minutes to trigger depending on your Zapier plan.

Yep, they even have a notification for that when building the Zap. I have absolutely zero issues with that kinda delay. Just like we talked about on Twitter, it’s how Make has been doing things. Glad Zapier was able to implement!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @davislatham @patrickgreene 

I’ve added both of your votes for this feature request, and we’ll notify you via email once an update is available. Thanks!

Any update on this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for reaching out, @ktotten2! - I’ve added your vote! I’m sorry to say we don’t have any official workarounds to share but we’ll be sure to share if we do. 🙂

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @shopping_jaws 

I’ve added your vote for this feature request, and we’ll  notify you via email once an update is readily available. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @AndyWasRight! For sure, I’ve got your vote added. Thanks for the extra context as well! 🙂

@jammer.solijon I asked also to be linked to the feature request

Userlevel 1

Any update? Please add my vote.

I need Notion Update Trigger feature very much. No one can create a page one time without any changes. Even you can, when you are createing the page, the Notion API got this half-finished page, it will go to the next step withou any updates when u finish the page.

So, Add this featture asap!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for the feedback! And you’re right I can imagine that being a common scenario. 

I wonder for these use cases where we need to be more granular if a Filter by Zapier step would work? A very similar workflow came up yesterday and they were using a filter to only trigger on a specific property:

Hallelujah. This is actually a great workaround (though uses one more step). Will be testing extensively. Thank you for the update, I never thought I’d actually see the day.

Userlevel 2
Badge

It won’t work in general case. To determine which fields were changed you need to know their values before the update. But Updated Database Item event doesn’t give you the previous values, just the current ones.

After further testing the limitations, Basil is correct. For example, I tried creating a “change log” of what users edited what things in a Notion database. While I can create “User X changed something about entry Y”, it is currently not possible to specify what specifically was changed.

For example, if I want to know what sales rep closed a deal, I can create a Zap with the trigger “Updated Database Item” and the filter to only trigger if “Deal Stage = Closed”. However, if a sales rep were to go back and change any field for a deal that is already in the stage “Closed”, the Zap will also run. It’s not actually looking for a change in Deal Stage, just checking to see if the field matches the filter. So unfortunately I will end up with a lot of erroneous “Closed Deals” that are really just deals being updated in other ways.

On the other hand, I have found that this works well for empty fields that require a date input to log when a specific change was made.

One of Notion’s shortcomings is that it cannot timestamp when changes occur at the field level. Using the above example of closed deals, I created a new date field in Notion called “Closed Date”. In my Zap, I have the trigger set to “Updated Database Item” followed by two filters.

Filter #1: if “Deal Stage = Closed”

Filter #2: If “Closed Date = Does not exist”

This way, the Zap will trigger the first time the Deal Stage is changed to closed, but will not continue updating the closed date on consecutive edits to that deal.

The real killer update from Notion would be the ability to have field-level update triggers. However, this is a step in the right direction as now I can capture dates of changes that I wasn’t able to capture before.

Hello, please add my vote too. Thank you.

Please add my vote, too. I can’t see myself paying for an account until I’m sure that I can update a recently created (or recently updated) notion database item.

Context: Notion doesn’t allow for dynamically created and unique page titles or names. I’m trying to use Zapier to take a default item name “customer visit” and append an auto-generated ID to it. I can’t make sense of the logic in Zapier. I _thought_ I’d be able to use Zapier to listen to the database event (new database item) and then update that record with new data, but it doesn’t work as expected. Instead, I can’t seem to hand off data from the trigger step (the default date of the new Notion record) to the update step (the update I want to apply to that Notion record). 

Userlevel 2
Badge

After further testing the limitations, Basil is correct. For example, I tried creating a “change log” of what users edited what things in a Notion database. While I can create “User X changed something about entry Y”, it is currently not possible to specify what specifically was changed.

For example, if I want to know what sales rep closed a deal, I can create a Zap with the trigger “Updated Database Item” and the filter to only trigger if “Deal Stage = Closed”. However, if a sales rep were to go back and change any field for a deal that is already in the stage “Closed”, the Zap will also run. It’s not actually looking for a change in Deal Stage, just checking to see if the field matches the filter. So unfortunately I will end up with a lot of erroneous “Closed Deals” that are really just deals being updated in other ways.

On the other hand, I have found that this works well for empty fields that require a date input to log when a specific change was made.

One of Notion’s shortcomings is that it cannot timestamp when changes occur at the field level. Using the above example of closed deals, I created a new date field in Notion called “Closed Date”. In my Zap, I have the trigger set to “Updated Database Item” followed by two filters.

Filter #1: if “Deal Stage = Closed”

Filter #2: If “Closed Date = Does not exist”

This way, the Zap will trigger the first time the Deal Stage is changed to closed, but will not continue updating the closed date on consecutive edits to that deal.

The real killer update from Notion would be the ability to have field-level update triggers. However, this is a step in the right direction as now I can capture dates of changes that I wasn’t able to capture before.

Don’t listen to the last part of what I said. Come to find out, Filter #2 is not working as described on Zapier’s page about using filters. It turns out “Closed Date = Does not exist” is literally looking to see whether or not that field exists, not whether or not it has data in it. See the recent comments on this thread

As a result, my actions on Zapier have been significantly eaten through as fields were updated that should not have passed the second filter. @christina.d, it looks like over 1,000 actions on my account were cannibalized due to this issue. What is the best path to getting those actions re-instated on my account?

Screenshots for reference. The first screenshot shows that there is data in the “Closed Date” field. The third screenshot shows that the filter for “does not exist” is still passing despite there being data.

Illustrating that the field “Closed Date” is passing data
Data is passing through this step as expected
Data should not be passing this step

Could you add me to that list as well? I struggle with creating a database item, and the Zapier trigger grabbing too early, leaving all of my data empty from what Zapier pulls.

Hello! 👋 could you please add a vote from me too? Looking forward to using this feature, it will help in so many ways :D

Hoping to see this added asap as well. Very limiting to just a new DB item.

Please add my vote, this is crucial to use Notion as a single source of truth and update other applications