Best answer

Eventbrite data being forwarded as "info requested"

• 23 November 2023
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone,

We have been using eventbrite with zapier since a while and its providing great help to our business. We have been facing an issue recently; it is not happening to any of the particular event but in general zaps are not forwarding the correct data to our app sometime.

The current flow of the use case for our business is when some-one gets a ticket from eventbrite zapier forwards us the details of the individual; we have been receiving these details at an api end-point. The issue in particular is that we some time receive data in text as “info requested” for couple of fields. I am not sure about the root cause of problem as it looks like maybe zapier not able to retrieve eventbrite data correctly or forwards it correctly.

Looking for a quick fix or help on this. 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by ken.a 4 December 2023, 06:28

View original

44 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

What I also find somewhat underhand, that FAQ post being the only source of official information is deliberately being marked as noindex from search engines, so it cannot be discovered by searching key terms like “Eventbrite new checkout experience”, making others who are searching for official help/support unlikely to find it, and ironically this Zapier community thread being likely to appear on some key terms instead.

Userlevel 1

I’m glad I found this post because this is such a frustrating experience! I’m glad I’m at least not the only one.

Similar to @jamesmacwhite, we first started having issues when they switched to optional questions on the next page. We were able to “solve” it similarly with a delay (not foolproof, but close enough). We did complain about the change to Eventbrite free support, but I doubt it went anywhere.

I have been seeing a couple things coming in as “Info Requested” in the last couple months that I hadn’t noticed before and I was figuring it was some weird timeout or something. But I went to test one of our new events by registering today and saw that Place Order was before the required attendee questions, and knew that this must be causing that issue.

I have also complained to Eventbrite support about this and asked about switching back, but they said they couldn’t (we’re probably not important enough to get that as an option). @ModularJack did they actually turn this off for you, or just say that they would?

I’m so tired of these large companies who think they can do whatever they want and break existing (good) features all the time with no regard for their customers. It’s not that complicated to think about all the different companies that are using your platform and realize that they probably all have somewhat unique goals. Maybe instead of forcing everyone to switch to do it your way, provide options for different people, so each organization can decide what way works best for them!

I guess we’ll have to start looking for a new platform because having these required fields before payment is received is necessary for us. Anyone have any suggestions so far? I did look around back when the optional questions change came out, but the things that I found had other issues, so we decided to stick with Eventbrite even with that change at that point, but this is severe enough that we may need to switch (if they don’t turn it off).

Userlevel 1

Update: The Info Requested issue has been resolved for us due to Eventbrite reverting our event back to the original checkout process. Our event is now collecting all of the data we require at for each attendee at the time of purchase. Zapier and all of our automation is working well again as well as other dependent biz processes.

@zap500 Confirmed, we are on the old version. They can switch it back if they choose.

@jamesmacwhite interesting note about the noindex… 

Takeaways from my discussions with Eventbrite on this issue:

1. Lots of organizers (they call us “creators”) are unhappy with this change for various reasons.
  2. Eventbrite’s own employees (sales managers, support, etc) either didn’t understand the extent of this new product change or were entirely unaware of the affect it would have.
  3. Eventbrite is actively assessing how to move forward given this unexpected level of dissatisfied users/customers

I will say that our service level has been good (we are in the commercial tier now but ran 30+ events since 2007 in the free tier) and Eventbrite has been quick to work through and resolve our issues (we also had issues with webhooks not working which is also now resolved).

Lastly I’ll say that they seem to really want this change to stick. We put a lot of pressure on and made it clear that this process will not work for our business. They did change things back for us but were unable to guarantee that it will stay that way.

I recommend that everyone continues to let Eventbrite know how they feel on this. The CEO is on LinkedIn and other places. I’d send her a connection request and drop her a short note (maybe link to this forum). 

Userlevel 2
Badge

It confirms my thoughts regarding who they care about by @ModularJack posting what commericial support really is, that depending on who you are, they offer different experiences or support. Free event organisers get thrown to the bottom and my case I opened has yet to receive any formal response.

Regardless, we are long term looking to replace Eventbrite given this situation. Even if they acknowledge they’ve made a mistake and offered to revert us (thus far we received absolutely no response from them officially), the decisions that have been made on their platform have been increasingly disruptive and do not offer value to us. Equally paying £99 per month for the same service we had previously with no cost at all, offers no addiitonal benefits to us and is equally is a big driver too, given we are Further Education college and our budgets are a consideration as well.

I won’t mention other competitors because I’m mindful this is the Zapier Community forum, not Eventbrite support forum, but there is another Eventbrite like competitor who is very interested in this situation and would not be surprised if they start to look at engaging with Eventbrite organisers who are looking to explore other options on the back of this.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I received a reply from Eventbrite this morning with a formal response and it has been escalated to the Project Manager behind the order form changes apparently.

However a rather worrying ommision about this experiment was made by Eventbrite in this response. It is only happening on some orders not all. It isn’t decided by the event itself, this experiment is seemingly selecting orders at random on ANY event. This means it could happen at anytime, but you don’t have any control of when it happens! How Eventbrite expect anyone to design a process around that frankly baffles me and just another example of how this change wasn’t thought through at all.

I’d encourage people to contact contactsupport@eventbrite.com as I was advised to do this after waiting over two weeks for a response on my original case submitted through their help portal. I got a response with 24 hours, after copying my original case information to this email.

I have now discovered on an event that I thought was safe from this, it has been inserting “Info requested” data everywhere for orders which have been chosen to use this experiment.

This experiment needs to be promptly paused and the product team really think about what they are doing to their platform.

Userlevel 1

@jamesmacwhite Thanks for posting that email address. I will definitely send them an email.

That’s really interesting that the events are still selected at random. That would make sense because we were having registrations for a large event after November that wasn’t experiencing this issue.

I think they are probably rolling it out more frequently even if still randomly (because I’m guessing they were doing random testing before they published that article in November), which makes sense why I’m now noticing it with our two newer events.

I typically export registrants to zoom for virtual events and noticed this same issue.  I thought it was a glitch, until folks that registered emailed on the DAY OF THE EVENT that they had not received a registration information.  Uggh! 

I saw other solutions.  Here’s mine.

Here’s the workaround: 

Go to Event Reports > Attendee Summary Report > Export. 

Once downloaded scroll to columns K-M, there you will see buyers first name, last name, and email. 

Good luck! 

After using Eventbrite + Zapier for exactly 10 years, we’re now forced to find an alternative supplier.  Eventbrite’s decision to change all users over to their “better checkout experience” has been disastrous for us.  It’s shameful. If anyone knows a good replacement please do let me know.

Userlevel 2
Badge

After using Eventbrite + Zapier for exactly 10 years, we’re now forced to find an alternative supplier.  Eventbrite’s decision to change all users over to their “better checkout experience” has been disastrous for us.  It’s shameful. If anyone knows a good replacement please do let me know.

Make sure to provide your feedback to contactsupport@eventbrite.com so they know this change is a disaster and needs pausing!

Userlevel 1

Update: We are still seeing the info requested issue at random. Eventbrite management has assured us that we would be excluded from this product update and the last 100 or so registrations went smoothly with no integration data issues. However, we had a registration last night where Info Requested came through our Zapier integrations.

This morning Eventbrite Customer Success is on the case and saying they believe this may be a bug happening at random. They confirmed that we’re supposed to be excluded from the “optimized” checkout process.

We feel for all of you guys. Eventbrite is/was a bit clueless about the impact of this change. If you’re experiencing issues please let Eventbrite know. They did mess up, but contacting them helps them understand and makes it more likely that this gets resolved in a good way for everyone.

@turner59 that’s great info that even Eventbrite doesn’t seem to know or at least didn’t share with us. We were told that they collected name and email but didn’t know where to find that data as it wasn’t shown in the order data. 

@TheCNM make sure you let Eventbrite know how you feel. They’re trying to figure it out, As @jamesmacwhite said, email them  contactsupport@eventbrite.com.

Userlevel 2
Badge

From the dialogue I have had with Eventbrite support, this may provide some further insight into how this “experiment” is working. This is in reference to your previous post @ModularJack around different support related to commercial clients. I’ve omitted the support representative’s details for privacy.

Hi James,

Creators that have contracts with us haven't yet been included in the post-checkout order form experiment, so I wonder if that's what's going on with your friend. If the creator was included in the beginning, that was likely unintended and the team likely corrected that. For context, creators with contracts have connections to the Commercial Team from when they established their contracts.  

I haven't heard of any self-sign on creators being omitted from the experiment, so I'm highly doubtful that the team will consider it, but nonetheless, I have asked the product team if there would be any room for negotiation. I'm awaiting a response from them, so as soon as I hear back, I will be in touch. 

Again, I apologize for this situation, and I hope that this appeal to the team will work, but I can't guarantee it. 

Thanks for your patience and cooperation. 

I am not holding out any hope for having this turned off, but we will be moving away from Eventbrite, that is for certain.

Again, to be clear this experiment appears to be possible to run on any order created through the checkout, regardless of the event it is attached to. Commercial clients aren’t meant to be selected in this as per the above response, but it makes it even worse for organisers, adding further inconsistencies to the checkout experience and data collection.

Userlevel 1

Update:

Eventbrite Customer Success believes that we’re being affected by a bug which is randomly taking some of our orders through the new checkout process and therefore not collecting our required fields, despite the fact that our account is marked for commercial and should be exempted. 

@jamesmacwhite what they’re saying may be true. We are not technically under contract yet. We were negotiating our contract when all of this was discovered. So those under pre-existing commercial agreements may indeed have been exempted. However, even if that is the case, Eventbrite has been quite clear that they are unable to guarantee that this change won’t be forced upon us at a later date, even if we do sign a commercial agreement. 

@TheCNM we are looking at several replacements. https://lu.ma looks like an interesting candidate for an actual EB replacement. Let us know if you find others.

Userlevel 1

A couple things:

People keep calling this an “experiment” as if it’s ongoing. The experiment is already over.

As of November 2023 the decision was made to change to the new, flawed system. The blog post clearly states this, and so does their article.

We recently ran a series of experiments where we moved the order form to after payment. Through this work, we saw conversion rates nearly doubled. As a result, we’re moving all order forms including those with custom questions to after payment, with the exception of additional terms and conditions, which will still appear before payment.

More importantly, I got this response from Eventbrite support yesterday, April 18, which indicates to me that we will indeed have a universal option to switch when the custom questions are asked:

To give you transparency, the Product Improvement team is already working to give organizers an option if they want their order form for their event to be answered first by the ticket buyers before they can secure their tickets. 

I’ve made a Zap to manage the data I manually import and parse from Eventbrite every few days so I can get some data in the meantime, because as slow as Eventbrite support runs it should be a few months before we see this requested change in the interface.

Userlevel 1

@luckylou If you read the support response that @jamesmacwhite received a few days ago, you’ll see that the Eventbrite support agent is still calling it an experiment. You are correct that their blog and article don’t say that, but I feel that’s just another example on Eventbrite’s inconsistent messaging on new changes.

The fact that it is only rolled out for orders at random (and not for all yet) indicates to me that they are still testing (regardless of what their article says). I myself have seen both behaviors (required questions before and after payment) on the same event form with the same settings without additional terms questions.

However, that’s great news that you shared from your contact with support that they are working on a way for people to opt in/out of this change. That would be a great improvement and hopefully they fast track it because of the number of complaints. I am a little concerned that they specified “ticket buyers,” since we have required questions we need on individual attendees, but hopefully they are including that and just saying ticket buyers as a shorthand. Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 1

Just had a ‘fun’ few minutes reading the string of this conversation, as I suddenly noticed this ‘info requested’ field data coming through this morning. 

I’ve switched some of my Zaps over to the ‘New Attendee Created’ trigger to try to solve this.
The information that we collect in the additional fields is crucial as it collects the attendee names (which is sometimes different from the Booker) and also dietary requirement and LinkedIn profiles which are key to prep before the event itself. 

In relation to how the data is brought through in the ‘New Attended Created’ trigger into Zapier, has anyone found that the buyer data comes through with the attended data as well? I can’t seem to find the field that features the buyer’s details and I need to bring through both buyer and attendee info at the same time. 

Any thoughts much appreciated. 

Userlevel 1

@AlisonRJ We use the New Order trigger to get the order information separately and work with it. But, since it sounds like you need it in the same Zap, I think you’ll have to do an API request.

Add another Eventbrite step, choose API Request (Beta) as the action.

Refer to the Eventbrite API documentation: https://www.eventbrite.com/platform/api#/reference/order/retrieve-order-by-id

To get the Order information, use the link they show in the documentation and put it in the URL field in Zapier: https://www.eventbriteapi.com/v3/orders/order_id/ (replace order_id with the field from the triggering event with the order Id number). Note that the ending slash is important, you get an error without it.

You shouldn’t need any of the other fields besides URL. Zapier handles the authentication for you since you’ve already connected your Eventbrite account.

Once you test, you should see the order data and you can use it later in the Zap. The field names will start with Response Data (so Response Data First Name, Response Data Last Name, etc).

Userlevel 1

This is brilliant, thank you so much, it worked perfectly. I’ve never delved into the API requests before, but you may have created a monster now 😆I can see myself going down the API rabbit hole to do much more!

Userlevel 1

Eventbrite has apparently just opted us out of this change! We don’t have commercial support and @jamesmacwhite told me they just opted his organization out as well and they don’t have commercial support either.

From the support agent:

“Yes, our product team is working on a way to opt users out of the new post-checkout experience due to the overwhelming feedback we have been receiving.

As I have already submitted your feedback, they have opted you out of this experience as of today.”

Sounds like everyone’s complaints have been working! If you want to be opted out and haven’t been yet, try following up on your case today. Or send an email to contactsupport@eventbrite.com to ask to be opted out if you haven’t already.

So far, our forms seem like they are switched back, but it’s a little hard to tell since it was random before. I’ll have to keep an eye on it and see if we see any more Info Requested coming in later.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, I can confirm we were also granted being opted out from the new order form behaviour today as well. We too will monitor it, as like @zap500 mentioned, it is hard to test for random order selection behaviour.

The feedback does appear to be being received and thanks to everyone who’s directly contacted them to voice concerns and issues related to this new process, I’m sure the responses being made by Eventbrite are directly because of this.

Ultimately, I think if they deliver a configurable option on the Order Form that’s basically a choice of prioritising speed i.e. get tickets as soon as possible vs data collection, this strikes the balance across event organisers. In my personal opinion the mistake was not providing a way to opt out of this, and Eventbrite not being transparent about this new process. I hope they learn from this, but it’s a certainly thanks to voices of organisers making noise around this to get the resolution we have been after, so thanks to everyone!