Question

Trouble Finding Charges on Stripe to filter through on Zapier

Badge

I'm attempting to locate completed checkout sessions on Stripe and sift through the data to categorize customers for a specific email sequence. However, I'm encountering difficulty as I'm unable to locate the Stripe Charge ID on Zapier. Despite Stripe providing all the necessary data, it seems inaccessible through Zapier. Why could this be occurring, and what steps can I take to access the required data on Zapier?

As seen a lot of the items show “no data”. The account shows the general data but has not been updated to include any checkout sessions that have been completed. 

39 replies

Badge

So I can just attempt the last thing you suggested? Could there be another reason why I am not seeing the data I need?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

It may be related to how things on configured in Stripe.

It may be related to how you are testing, meaning making a real purchases as a end user would via Stripe.

it may be related to the Zap trigger example you are using.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Alexandra R. 

In order for us to have full context, post screenshots with how the steps are outlined and configured, thanks.

Badge

I saw that they had a similar issue to me should I attempt what they did? 

Badge

I attempted and am still encountering the same issue. The trigger still does not have the customer data despite being turned on.

Badge

I was able to find the information needed for a payment transaction using its payment ID. Is there a way where I don’t have to put the specific payment ID but instead acquire the data from somewhere else that includes all the payment IDs from the payment link? If I continue doing it the way I have it set up I would have to input each payment ID which would defeat the purpose of automating the process. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

This was a previous suggestion:

OR try turning the Zap ON, then testing live.

You can check the Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

You can map dynamic variables between Zap steps using the ‘CUSTOM’ tab.

Help: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action

Badge
the data we already have in the checkout appearing

when trying to find customer email or other information after checkout session has been completed not appearing. 
so when i try to create an email for example and trying to send it the the customer there is no data found.
this is stripe showing the data is there. covered for customer protection* 
but there also being a section where it comes up as null. unsure if this is causing the problem

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

The field description provides guidance about the format of the Stripe Charge ID.

You can search by “ch_” to narrow down the variables to map from previous Zap steps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

Make sure to add a Filter as Step 2 to only continue for “completed” Stripe Checkout Sessions.

Make sure to use a Zap trigger example that is for a “completed” Stripe Checkout Session, otherwise some variables won’t have data. (e.g. “No data”)

Badge

Where would I use this? In this trigger step, finding charge step, or when trying to find the email of the customer?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

In this field.

Badge

So now moving on do I have to use webhooks and make it live so that I could troubleshoot and get the data I need?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

Stripe Webhooks is an option to explore.

Ultimately testing live will tell if it’s working as expected.

Badge

How do I make sure I am testing live? It was on when I tested the trigger but when I moved to the next filter it would not turn on. I also do not see any data displayed. Could you walk me through the process, please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

Test live means to test with the Zap turned ON and perform the event that would trigger the Zap.

Badge

I have attempted doing what you suggested. 

creating the 2nd filter 
trying to find the charge 

For the 3rd step I am trying to find the charges. I am unsure if this is the correct format. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

That is not a valid Stripe Charge ID.

Check the field description for guidance about valid values and examples.

Badge

I have done this and no new data is showing up. Payment intent shows up as no data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

It might be best to consider hiring help.

Directory of Certified Zapier Experts: https://zapier.com/experts

Badge

Is this what you mean? These also do not pass the test or include relevant information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

To derive the Stripe Charge ID, try these steps:

Badge

I attempted and was either not able to find the input or it came up as having not data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

Try this...

Make sure to use a Zap trigger example that has a Status as “completed” Stripe Checkout Session, otherwise some variables won’t have data. (e.g. “No data”)