Question

Single-step Zap to delete cancelled events on linked Google Calendars

• 28 July 2023
  • 1 reply

Situation: I have 2 Google Calendars (personal and professional) and successfully set up a Zap that runs when a New Event is created on GCal A and creates a New Detailed Event on GCal B (identical to the one of GCal A). I would like to create a Zap so that when the event is cancelled on GCal A, it gets cancelled on GCal B.

I am currently using a free Zapier account, so I’m limited to single-step Zaps (i.e. can’t use a trigger-search-action configuration). I have been trying to set up a Zap where the trigger is Event Cancelled on GCal A and the action is Delete Event. Like others have shared, I’m running into an issue with getting the right event ID.

When I test my action (using an event that I created on GCal A, Zap copied to GCal B, then deleted from GCal A), I get a 404 error because the event on GCal B has a different ID than the event on GCal A. I looked at a few different help threads and it seems like I need to do something to update the event ID on the original GCal A event to match the new event ID created for the GCal B event such that when the GCal A event is deleted, I can use the (updated) event ID to then delete the GCal B event (advice from this thread). Is that the only approach here? Is it possible to do what I want with only single-step Zaps?

Trigger: linked to GCal A

Action - linked to GCal B

I understand the problem here… I’m using the event ID for the GCal A event, which doesn’t exist on GCal B. I just don’t know how to solve!

Thanks in advance for the help!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @elisel 

Good question.

I don’t think there is going to be a good way to solve this with 2 step Zaps, unless you use an intermediary app (such as Airtable) to act as a log and doing some of the lookup logic.

You’ll need to have both GCal Event IDs associated somewhere for the Zap to reference.