Question

Can't create a Salesforce Campaign (insufficient access rights on cross-reference id)

Hello,

I can create Contact objects, CampaignMembers etc.  But Campaigns never work.  I’ve filled out all the required fields Name, Type, RecordType, Status etc.

I verified via SOQL I have the correct RecordType by testing with an existing campaign like:

Select Id, Name, Type, RecordType.Name from Campaign where Id='701EX0000009ar0YAA'

The Salesforce User I’m using is a SysAdmin.  I can create campaigns as that User directly in Salesforce.  I can add CampaignMembers to existing Campaigns via Zaps as well.

Keep seeing this rather generic error:

Any help much appreciated.

PS: I looked at a similar previous post but none of the suggestions apply to my scenario (not attempting any assignments, portal/experience cloud users not involved etc):

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @yasoja 

Good question.

We would need to see screenshots with how your Zap step is configured to have enough context.

After more testing I realized that if I create a brand new Zap that just creates a Campaign record that works fine.

What does not work is when in the middle of Zap steps I’m searching for a Campaign record which is not found.  When that happens I’ve clicked the checkbox that says:

Create Salesforce Record if it doesn’t exist yet?

Then filled in all the necessary information - then I seem to invariably get that “Could not create record of the “Campaign” object: insufficient access rights on cross-reference ID” error.

It’s difficult to work around this by adding a brand new step just for record-creation - because Path actions (with 2 branches) are only allowed as the last step of the Zap which is where I already have a Path to create vs. update the CampaignMember record.

Looks like a Zapier bug, given the same user and field-data works to create an object one way but does not work another way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@yasoja 

We would need to see screenshots with how your Zap step is configured to have enough context.

Here’s a screenshot Troy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@yasoja 

If you have a Zapier paid plan, you can submit feedback via a ticket to Zapier Support to be logged: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@yasoja 

No screenshot was attached.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@yasoja 

Are there any other fields being set in the Salesforce Zap action?

Also, make sure you aren’t encountering the field character limit.

Yes fields RecordType, Start Date, End Date, Description, Status, Active and Owner are being set.  Nothing over the field limits.  The test data is above with Name=“Torah Study 08-11-2023” is only 23 characters for example well under the 80 character limit.  Dates are gathered from Eventbrite and set - same format as for other Zaps (such as the create-campaign one) which work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@yasoja 

Without screenshots to see how the Zap step is fully configured we are limited in our ability to evaluate and advise.

@Troy Tessalone here’s the full Zap step?  If you need a drill-in on any part of the zap step let me know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@yasoja 

Yeah those look like expected values for all the fields.