Best answer

Trello Custom Label - New is always added

Userlevel 1

I put the custom label ‘Shift Log’ in my Zap and expect it to add the preexisting label ‘Shift Log’ which is already on the board to the card. Instead, it ALWAYS creates a new ‘no-color’ label ‘Shift Log’ even when one already exists.

How do I get it to add the preexisting label? Any help?

(example)

icon

Best answer by Liz_Roberts 18 May 2020, 16:06

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

37 replies

Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Everything is fine if I point an existing card instead of using card id custom field.

I even tried to add a delay between creating a card and adding a label but with no success.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@smm 

I was able to test successfully with all 3 variables mapped to the final Zap step (Add Label).

Perhaps try turning the Zap ON and testing live, then check your Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Badge

@Troy Tessalone It worked but only if there’s just one label for a card. It doesn’t work for comma separated list of labels like custom labels do (but it always creates new labels which is the whole point of this thread).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@smm

If you have a variable number (1+) of Labels to add, then you can use the Looping app in the Zap: https://zapier.com/apps/looping/integrations

Zap Steps

1. Trigger: ???
  2. Action: Trello - Create Card
  3. Action: Looping
  4. Action: Trello - Find Label
  5. Action: Trello - Add Label to Card
Badge

@Troy Tessalone Thanks for suggestion. That was what I needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @smm! I’ve added you to the list of users who are still being affected by this issue. I can’t give any promises as to when it will finally be resolved but we’ll definitely be in touch by email as soon as it is.

In the meantime, it looks like you were able to get a workaround implemented with help from @Troy Tessalone! :)  

Hi all -- hate to revive a thread this dead but I’m also, still, having this issue.

For a while, all you needed was an “Add Label to Card” action and it would give you a selection of all the custom labels on your board to choose from (my older automations still work this way). IMO it’s already silly to need to use 2 actions to create a card + assign a custom label (especially considering the “custom label” field on the Create Card action that doesn’t really work), but now the “Add Label” action shows “unable to load choices” -- so you’re forced in to @Troy Tessalone’s solution, which is 3 actions per new labeled card.

My company generates a custom-labeled Trello card for every project we work on, and this 3-action workaround is devouring our tasks quota. Very frustrating. Any help is appreciated, happy to answer questions!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @BrockStClair 

The Zap step config design is based on the app API endpoints, so every app is a little bit different.

Often times when using the UI this seems more seamless because behind the scenes the apps are handling the multiple API requests to do each of the micro tasks to, for example, create the card and add a label.

Also, most apps on Zapier are built and maintained by the app developers themselves, rather than by Zapier, altho I’m unsure who owns the Trello Zap app integration.

The more advanced approach would be to explore the Trello API to determine if there are end points available that can simplify the Zap steps, but using app APIs is an advanced approach.

App APIs can be used with the Webhooks app as an action step or in Code steps.

In theory multiple API requests could be made within 1 Code step, but again that’s an advanced approach.

Hi @BrockStClair 

The Zap step config design is based on the app API endpoints, so every app is a little bit different.

Often times when using the UI this seems more seamless because behind the scenes the apps are handling the multiple API requests to do each of the micro tasks to, for example, create the card and add a label.

The more advanced approach would be to explore the Trello API to determine if there are end points available that can simplify the Zap steps, but using app APIs is an advanced approach.

App APIs can be used with the Webhooks app as an action step or in Code steps.

In theory multiple API requests could be made within 1 Code step, but again that’s an advanced approach.

Thanks for the quick response @Troy Tessalone -- I’ve done some light work with Webhooks and will definitely look in to this.

Hi all, 

What I did with mine as a workaround was on my Zap in the Description field, I added/inserted the label field from my data (i.e Priority). Note that in my case I am using Google Sheets and only use about three labels, so you may be using something completely different and have more or less labels. 

Then, on the Trello board I created an automation rule that when the description of a card contains "Low - Can be completed after other tasks.", add the blue "Low - Can be completed after other tasks." label to the card.

This helped to automatically add the label to my card without Zap creating duplicate labels. I used Zapier to pull in the data to create the card and automated Trello to add the label.

I know this is an old reply but this workaround is really great -- thanks @viv123 !

This thread is 2 years old, and I’m still having the same issue. This is a fundamentally unacceptable way to handle a known bug

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Sdarity 

FYI: Most apps on Zapier are built and maintained by the app developers themselves, not by Zapier, altho I’m unsure who owns the Trello Zap app integration as there is no public list available.

IF Trello owns and maintains their Zap app integration, then the responsibility would be for Trello (aka Atlassian parent company) to fix the issue, as Zapier is a platform for app developers to build upon.

Zapier makes app developers aware of submitted issues and feature requests related to their Zap app integration.

Best to submit a ticket with Zapier Support to have your feedback properly logged: https://zapier.com/app/get-help