Best answer

MemberPress and Shopify Automation

Userlevel 1

Here’s the desired workflow I’m hoping Zapier can accomplish…

We have a discount code setup in Shopify that is exclusively for our paying members. It only applies to customers with a specific tag on their profile. Instead of adding this tag manually to each paying member’s profile, is it possible for Zapier to add the tag to the customer profile automatically when a new subscription is created in MemberPress? 

Example: John Doe signs up for our membership with the email johndoe@gmail.com. When this subscription is created, Zapier looks for johndoe@gmail.com in our customer profiles in Shopify. If it finds the same email address, the tag is added to the profile. When John Doe comes to our Shopify store, he’s able to use our exclusive discount code when he logs into his account with his johndoe@gmail.com address. 

Thanks in advance for the help!

Meg

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 11 January 2023, 17:09

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @megfriedegg 

Good question.

Try these Zap steps:

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @megfriedegg (I’m writing this around my lunch, your username is inspiring me 😅)-

Wanted to check in and see if you were able to build a Zap using the steps Troy laid out? Sometimes also it can be helpful to share a printscreen of your build (with any personal info removed!) if you’re getting stuck on a specific part. Either way we’re here to help, and let me know if you need anything!

Best,

Rachael

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the help, Troy and Rachael. I think I’m getting closer. When I build out and test the steps, it’s finding a subscription in MemberPress, looking for the customer in Shopify, and adding the tag to the profile. Is there anything you’d change about this setup? Is this Zap dynamic and will work for all new subscriptions that come through MemberPress. 

Thanks again,

Meg

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@megfriedegg 

We can’t tell which variable you have mapped from Step 2.

Userlevel 1

Oh sorry about that. I’m not at my computer right now to grab a new screenshot, but I just chose the Customer Name from the dropdown list that matched the customer in Step 2. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@megfriedegg 

You need to map the Customer ID variable from Step 2 to Step 3.

The value next to the field label for Customer indicates the field expects a numerical value.

Userlevel 1

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Yes, here’s the customer I’m choosing that matches the customer in step 2. Is the number underneath the name the customer ID?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@megfriedegg 

You need to use the Custom option to dynamically map the Customer ID variable from the previous step.

Userlevel 1

How does this look?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@megfriedegg 

That looks correct.

When in doubt, test it out.

Userlevel 1

Hi Troy,

I’ve gotten this error message a few times this morning…

I haven’t changed anything with the Zap, and it was working yesterday. Should I retest or do you have other suggestions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@megfriedegg 

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step.

My guess is that there was nothing found in Step 2, thus why no Customer ID was provided to Step 3, hence the error.

You may need to add a Filter step between the Shopify steps to prevent this error to check if the Customer ID exists from Step 2.

Userlevel 1

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Got it. Here’s the Data In/Data Out from a successful zap. 

And here’s the data in/data out from a failed zap…

If I need a filter step to prevent the error, could you explain what that should look like?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@megfriedegg

Here’s the issue…

When an existing Customer is found this is what the data looks like, so the Customer ID is a variable named ID.

However, when a Customer does not exist, but is created, this is what the data looks like, and the ID is nested in an object called Customer, so really the variable is Customer__ID which is different, and why it didn’t map to Step 3, thus causing the error.

To fix, try this…

ALSO map this variable:

{{178227843__customer__id)}

Copy and paste the above variable code snippet directly next to the already mapped ID variable for the Customer field in Step 3. (make sure there are NO spaces between these variables)

So you will have 2 variables mapped in the Customer field. ID and Customer ID, both from Step 2

Only 1 should ever populate depending on if the Customer was found or created.

Userlevel 1

Looks like this is working great! Thank you so much for the help. 

Meg