Question

How to update Asana tasks with shipping tracking numbers from ShipStation using Zapier

Badge

Hi! I have linked woocomerce with asana through zapier to manage customer service according to our business needs, and it works perfect by creating single tasks on asana per each order, triggered by woocomerce.

Now, part of our business is woocomerce updates shipstation (without zapier) per each order, and here is my goal; I’d like to update the tasks on asana created with zapier/woocomerce by adding the shipping tracking number generated by shipstation. 

can this be done? I read a lot in your forums and someone mentioned something similar by creating 

step1.trigger shipstation (item shipped) >> step2.action asana(find task) >> step3.action asana(update task)

problem is step2, requires “Task Name”, I cannot provide it because I’m hoping asana to find a match for that shipstation order. And the values that drop down in that field are from Shipstation and they dont match the task asana should be looking for.

Can you guys help me, please?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @the_office 

Good question.

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to give us more context along with the encountered error.

Badge

3cbbee63fed4c7340d491e49110e2534.png
(view larger)

4cd1fa0cbfde65363382443222128e5c.png
(view larger)

Badge

please be patient with me. I only been using this apps for over a week.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office

The Asana step returned an error indicating nothing could be found for the search criteria.

This was the search criteria. (e.g. Upson, Nicki)

0f330696534293179a8e1f0002df4d0c.png
(view larger)

You can prevent the error by changing the field to Yes so it continues, then following that with a Filter step to only continue if there was an Asana ID returned.

Also, you can create a new Asana Task if no match was found.

Badge

I don’t want to generate a task. My goal is to update an existing task. I just can’t figure out how to find the task to be updated and insert the new data in there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office 

Can you post a screenshot of the Asana Task that matches the search criteria being used by the example data in the Asana Zap step? (e.g. Upson, Nicki)

Badge

671a9f932db8b8da021815070f76f4e9.png
(view larger)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office 

Please post a screenshot of the matching Task in Asana.

Can you post a screenshot of the Asana Task that matches the search criteria being used by the example data in the Asana Zap step? (e.g. Upson, Nicki)

Badge

honestly, I’m lost in that step and when I select that field then this values come up and my logic tells me one of this values will match the task already in asana but they don’t. Can you screenshot how should I do it please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office

We need proof via screenshots of the matching Task IN Asana. (e.g. Upson, Nicki)

The screenshot should be from Asana.

07929c2ca4652e53f2eac0aeaa8f9d7c.png
(view larger)

Badge

Badge

The UPSON, NICKI values came from shipstation because I’m using it as the trigger to write in to asana.

trigger (shipstation, item shipped) > > action (asana, find task) > > action (asana, update task or create sub).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office

None of the Asana Tasks shown in the screenshot have a Task Name of the value being used in the data example from ShipStation. (e.g. Upson, Nicki)

That is why there is no match and why the Asana Step in the Zap is resulting in an error.

Make sure to test with proper data conditions that match.

052991f90159080e1f1f8be6b5ed849a.png
(view larger)

Badge

can you suggest me one way to do based on the screenshots I sent you? there gotta be one way to identify the asana tasks without me providing it to zapier. We get about a 100 tasks weekly on asana so I can really go one by one every time I need to update the shipping tracking number. please help me

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office

These mapped variables are dynamic and will change each time the Zap is triggered to run.

But if there is no matching Asana Task Name, the Zap step will results in an error.

You can prevent the error by changing the field “Should this step be considered a success when nothing is found?” to ‘Yes’, so it always continues, then follow that with a Filter step to only continue if there was a matching Asana ID found from the Asana Zap step.

052991f90159080e1f1f8be6b5ed849a.png
(view larger)

Badge

Thank you so much for all the help you been giving me. I’d be lost without your help.

Here’s where I got so far but is not finding any of the actual tasks already in asana. I even created a nicki upson task manually but at the end this is what comes up.

86f77e81a010999fcabf05b787dd95bb.png
(view larger)

993f9525ab6096fa040e16f3e07f4d93.png
(view larger)

7ff4125c541f4ec10029bd399ead470a.png
(view larger)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office

The Task field in Step 3 for Asana expects the Asana Task ID to be mapped from Step 2 as indicated by the field description.

f408dbc226172666446f6793c82f6261.png
(view larger)

Badge

changed it but this is the result…

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office 

That’s because there is no value (“No data”) for the mapped dynamic variable, which means no Asana Task was found in Zap Step 2.

Badge

how can I fix it?

Badge

dab16f9dbbc37a4d043eaa153056bfc6.png
(view larger)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office

In Step 2, you are trying to search for an Asana Task Name = “Nicki Upson”

853ad635395ea7a53e0ca8cc057764f6.png
(view larger)

But the actual Asana Task Name = “Nicki, Upson”, which is not a match due to the comma.

e7efad6e4c151b986cbf3d21c9ea2e41.png
(view larger)

So in Step 2, the Test section will show Match Found = false.

Badge

I removed the comma and still now I got this one

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office 

You need to test Step 2 again.

When in doubt, test it out.

Badge

this is what’s happening in step2

687f4df5c8a71eea0e6bdc498e9e86db.png
(view larger)