Best answer

How to access the information in the Slack message thread?

• 21 January 2024
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1

In the first Zap, I create a task in Jira when someone reacts to a Slack message and then send the link of the created Jira task to the message thread.

I need to change the status of the same created Jira task when the user updates the reaction on the Slack message. How can I access the Jira task ID, which is available in the Jira link within the thread, to change the status in the second Zap?

icon

Best answer by ken.a 31 January 2024, 11:49

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Rasangika 

You can use Formatter steps to isolate the Jira Ticket ID from the Jira Ticket URL.

Formatter > Text > Split

Formatter > Text > Extract Pattern

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone, Thank you for the response. 

Yes, I could use formatting steps to retrieve the Jira ticket ID. But what I need to find the most is how I can access the message thread content.

In my first step, I have the 'New reaction added' event. Then, I added this text in the formatter by the Zapier event. How should I give the input to transform it?

I tried to use ‘Message Thread Ts’. But it didn’t access the message thread

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Rasangika

You would need to map a variable that contains the thread message contents. (not the Message Thread Ts)

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone 
I couldn’t find any variables that contain the thread content. Do you have any examples of how to do this?

As per the documentation, what I could use is conversations.replies. 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Rasangika 

To help us have context, post screenshots of the DATA OUT from step 1.

Userlevel 1

Sure @Troy Tessalone, Please find the attachments below,

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Rasangika 

Message Text would likely have the content of the Slack message/thread.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone, That’s the content of the parent message 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Rasangika 

Can you post a screenshot with how your Zap step 1 is configured?

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone, sure

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Rasangika,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

Currently, there isn’t a way to differentiate between parent/thread messages. With that being said, a new action is going to be needed here. The “Find Thread” action that returns all of the replies in the thread.

We have an existing feature request for this exact functionality. Please let me know if you’d like to get added to that.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

Hey @ken.a,

Thank you for the response. The 'Find Thread' action sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

Could you please let me know how I could get added to that? I believe I need to check the current plan and so on with my organization.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for letting me know @Rasangika!

I have added your vote to the open feature request for the “Find Thread” action. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Hopefully, this helps.

Hello @ken.a

I'm also interested in the "Find Thread" feature. Could you show me where I can vote for this feature request?

Hello @ken.a

I'm also interested in the "Find Thread" feature. Could you show me where I can vote for this feature request?

+1

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @robertkrikk and @valeriia.iuzhakova,

I have added your vote to the feature request. We will keep you in the loop via email once the feature has been implemented.

I appreciate your patience understanding.