Best answer

Find unique item ID in Monday.com using "Get Item by Column Value" (again)

• 27 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, this post has been closed for comments but I am asking more or less the same question. The issue is similar to the one discussed here as well.

I am trying to get an item in Monday by column value and update the item with new input. I use the “Get Item by Column Value in monday.com” Zap to get the item, but the returned data does not seem to include the item’s unique ID. The reason I need it is so I can use the “Get Column Values in monday.com” Zap to get the item’s actual values (rather than the “Fulfillment Values” provided in the first Zap, which are not formatted properly).

How can I go about retrieving the item’s unique ID from Monday? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Paolo Miriello 27 February 2023, 17:54

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Paolo Miriello 

Good question.

For us to have full context, please provide detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured, thanks.

Make sure to include screenshots with all the data points returned from testing the Zap step.

Userlevel 1

Sure thing!

I first get the item by column value:

Using data from a previous Zap to search the table, this returns the item’s values but formatted as JSON (and therefore unusable):

My objective is to retrieve the item ID so I can get it using the Get Column Values Zap. However, the previous Zap only returns isFulfilled, isRejected and _zap_search_was_found_status (besides the fulfillmentValue entries). When I try setting up the Get Column Values Zap using a specific Item ID selected from the Zapier interface under the Item ID tab (which wouldn’t work for my use case as this value must be provided dynamically based on previous Zaps whose data appear in the Custom tab), I see the unique ID:

And the returned values are formatted properly:

So to sum up, I need a way to retrieve the item ID which appears in the before last screenshot as something I can select statically, but not in the values returned dynamically by Get Item by Column Value.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Paolo Miriello 

For Step 3 we’d need to see how your Zap step is configured:

Give this a try…leave the Columns to receive as blank since it’s optional, and that should make sure to return the Item ID you need.

Userlevel 1

It seems I may have solved the problem myself: as it turns out, I had selected the “Column to search in” but hadn’t provided the value to search for, which probably returned multiple values from the board. It works now, I have retrieved the Monday item ID. Thanks for your time!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for closing the loop here, @Paolo Miriello! Glad to hear you were able to get this sorted. 🤗