Question

String or text with comma gets turned into an array

• 28 September 2023
  • 4 replies

So I’ve come to realize any string or text input field with a comma, at least while testing in Step 2, sends the field as an array separated at the comma. Is there some way to globally override or change this? Over all my actions I have dozens if not 100+ fields where user input could and should contain a comma. Server side as well, I dont want to introduce handling per field. None of these fields have “Allow Multiples” set so Im not sure why its converting 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Alex At Sengii 

Good question.

That depends on the specific Zap app and step being used.

Can you post screenshots to provide us with more context along with specific examples?

These are not using a Zap yet, but being general text fields I’d have to expect some commas to be coming in. 

I’m doing this within the integration action testing tab as attachments shows. Displayed fields are set as ‘string’ though I’ve tried ‘text’, in the input designer. 

After testing with a Zap using Google Sheets, this looks to only be an issue in the testing environment so far. I guess I’ll just have to be aware. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @Alex At Sengii ,

Great catch, and apologies for any trouble here.

As you found, when using the “Pretty” side of the platform’s testing interface, comma-separated strings will be split to create line-items. To avoid that there, we’d typically suggest switching to the “Raw” side, where you can correct the input or write JSON directly.