Question

How to make text encoding in live Zap the same as test Zap?

When I upload a test file with a Zap to my server the contents are in JSON format as a long string. When I upload a file with a live Zap the text is parsed onto different lines. I don’t want the text to be parsed. About 4 months ago this was not an issue but now is. How do I turn off this auto encoding so that the test and live Zap are the same?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @tashrops 

For us to have more context, post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured along with a specific example.

Hi Troy, 

Thanks for the quick response. Here is an image I created with a few snapshots of information. You can see the second version of the text is parsed and separated on multiple lines. I have also seen some versions with no slashes, so I am all sorts of confused about how this formatting is occurring.

Thanks again for the help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tashrops 

Appears the EastFTP Zap step is transforming the provided JSON.

You can try reaching out to EasyFTP Support for help troubleshooting how their Zap app integration handles this use case.

Thank you. I will reach out to them. Was not fully sure where the transformation was occurring.

Troy, 

If the issue is fully on EasyFTP, why is it that when I execute a Zap Test the text file delivered has the correct formatting without any parsing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tashrops 

There can be differences in the behavior when testing vs for a live Zap Run. (not ideal, but possible)

It looks like the input that Zapier shows during the EasyFTP step has unparsed text (see image). So where is the formatting occurring? I have not changed anything to Jotform or EasyFTP in 6 months. How can I make the live Zap the same as the test?

The chat bot mentoned something about “you can disable automatic parsing by setting the header X-Recurse-Parse: false in your request.” Not really sure to what this means exactly though.

Forgot to attach the image. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tashrops 

You can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support for help troubleshooting further for the behind the scenes Zap app integration logic: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Zapier recently migrated many apps to the new Zapier Developer Platform, so there’s a chance that is involved in this issue:

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/25841790519181-Migrating-apps-to-the-latest-Zapier-Platform-what-you-need-to-know

Hi Troy, I submitted a ticket. 

After some looking around I found this post:

Can you provide any information about using webhooks to control the format of text delivered? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tashrops 

A Code step can be used to make an API request and handle the response results.