Best answer

"Request has expired" when using zapier smtp

• 5 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi All,

We own a hospitality company and have a business partner which requires that all of our clients sign contracts prior to booking our property. The contracts must be sent on the arrival date so that their staff members can add them to the parking system on their arrival date and remove them on the departure date.

We collect the following information from the guest via a form which has a webhook which posts information to zapier:

First Name, Last Name, Email Address, Check-in date, check-out date.

This information is then used to populate a SignRequest template, which is signed by us. Once the document is signed, we use SMTP by Zapier to email the template to our partner on the day of the guest’s arrival.

The issue we are running into is that about 20% of the time, the zap will fail with the error “request has expired”. 

Update: Screenshot of issue is below

I’ve tried looking through the forms and searching online for possible solutions, but can't seem to find a workaround for this issue. Any help is appreciated. I originally considered using a transactional email service, but can’t find one which allows us to include attachments in the email.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Norm 16 April 2021, 00:50

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Norm 

One way around an email attachment is to include a link to the file in the email.

Try Mailgun which has the Send Email action with an Attachment field.

If you are still encountering an issue with SMTP by Zapier, you can open a ticket with Zapier Support here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much @Troy Tessalone . I’m going to experiment with this and update this thread with my findings.

Userlevel 1

I tried using mailgun and I’m getting the same error. I actually don’t think the issue is with the email client. I think the issue is with the documents that I’m trying to email via signrequest.

Upon further inspection, when I visit the URL of the signed file, this is what I see:

It looks like these files are hosted on AWS temporarily and I don’t have the ability to generate a new presigned URL with a different expiration date.

I guess the workaround for this issue is to figure out how I can store and access a copy of a signed file. Will provide updates.

Userlevel 1

I tried using mailgun and I’m getting the same error. I actually don’t think the issue is with the email client. I think the issue is with the documents that I’m trying to email via signrequest.

Upon further inspection, when I visit the URL of the signed file, this is what I see:

It looks like these files are hosted on AWS temporarily and I don’t have the ability to generate a new presigned URL with a different expiration date.

I guess the workaround for this issue is to figure out how I can store and access a copy of a signed file. Will provide updates.

The temporary copy of the signed document was expiring before I could email it. I read through SignRequest’s documentation, and there is a 5 minute time limit before the temporary url to view a signed doc expires.

The solution was to immediately save and store the signed document into google drive, then email the saved google drive version of the doc using your preferred mail client and zapier.