Question

How to get Zapier to send through a null value to clear data in field over API?

• 3 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello

Unforuantely one of my systems produced bad data and it was propogated through Zapier to another system.

I have cleared the data from the original source, but the problem is the zapier is treating the empty field as “no data”, and so isn’t pushing it through to clear the field.

Is there a way to force a “clear” or “null” data value through the API call?

Whenever I try and type null, it just puts that as the text, as opposed to clearing it from scratch :-/

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JayK 

Depends on the API documentation.

Perhaps you can provide more context about what API endpoint you are trying to use and include the link to the documentation you are referencing.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

Thanks for the reply,

I’m trying to use the Zendesk API

Introduction | Zendesk Developer Docs

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JayK 

Can you clarify what Zendesk API endpoint you are trying to use?

Perhaps you can post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to give more context.

Userlevel 2

Hi there,

I am facing the same issue now. I believe it will be identical to @JayK 

Basically, I want to unassign a ticket and the only way to do that is this (PUT a null value):

https://developers.freshdesk.com/api/#update_ticket

In a Zap field, if we insert this (or anything like that):

I get the error:

The very first screenshot through the API does work, but here I assume Zapier turns this into a string and it is not considered “null” anymore.

I would still like to find a solution, but if I don’t find a good solution, I will just add a new “Webhook” step and send a custom PUT request to Freshdesk with:

{“responder_id”: null}

in the body of the request.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JayK 

Can you clarify what app you are using to send the API request and how that’s configured in the Zap step?

Options:

1. Webhooks - PUT
  2. Code