Best answer

Zapier integration with monday.com to create group based on Google Sheets row and add items to that group

• 19 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

HI I have a google sheet that is already updated with our latest projects

Code DATE Start Time End Time Event Title Event Type Artist(s) Audience In-Person Host Required Online Host Chat Moderator Tech Host Additional Media used

The headings are shown above.

I have managed to create a Zap that when a new row is added creates a group Called (Event Title) from that column.

However when I try and create item for that event in an additional Zap step It doesnt bring that in. It worked for the first new row but on each since it only creates the group and not the items.

I am guessing I am referencing the wrong item ie looking at Event title from first row and not the event title for the row that has just been added. But for the life of me I cant work out what I am doing wrong.

Can anyone help.

Many thanks in advance

Jon

icon

Best answer by SamB 20 April 2023, 14:28

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Magpie2000k 

Would be able to share some screenshots of your setup (hiding sensitive parts)? It seems like you are connecting the name to and ID field

Userlevel 1
Badge

Does this help

Userlevel 1
Badge

Worked on first product here ie first Row but not after see below

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Magpie2000k! 👋

Thanks for sharing those helpful screenshots. Ah, it looks like it’s trying to use the account ID instead of the ID for the group that the previous step created. Think you’ll need to change the Group ID field to use the Data Create Group Id field instead.

That would look something like this:
2bc7b365b553c67195f57418d468c709.png

That should then allow the Zap to add the item into the correct group. 

Can you give that a try and let us know if that adds the item?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have changed that thank you but still not working it is adding them again to the Pride one as seen in the screen shot below but not to the new events added later.

So adding them a second time to The pride event which is in Row 2 (under the column headers) but not adding them to events in row 3 4 5 etc

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry to hear that didn’t fix it@Magpie2000k! 😔

Can I just double-check here, is each event that you want to have added to the group, entered into it’s own row in Google Sheets? If so, then the Zap should be pulling the information in from the row and adding that as a new item in the group.

Also is the Zap currently switched on? Or are you adding the items through manually testing the Create Item action step still? If you’re manually testing it still then you’d need to select another sample row from the spreadsheet that contains the information for a different event to check whether that would be added to the correct group when the Zap is up and running. Otherwise it will continue to add the same item. 

But if you’re looking to get the Zap to create multiple items in the same group when a new row is added then you’ll need to add additional Create Item action steps to create each one.

Or, if the number of items to be added to the group would vary for each row of the spreadsheet that triggers the Zap, then you’d want to use Looping by Zapier to help the Zap to run through a list of items to add each one individually. If that’s the case I’d recommend checking out our Loop your Zap actions guide to find out more. 

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!