Question

Zapier doesn't trigger on cancelled events from Google Calendar appointment schedule

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I have create a Zap to my appointment schedule in Google Calendar. I want to delete all events that become cancelled. I currently have a very simple flow that works (see screenshot), but it only triggers when my own user cancels the event. I would like it to trigger when the other participant cancels as well. Is this possible?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Not sure if this will work but I was messing around with prompts to see if there's a solution. Heres the result. Haven't been able to test.

"How to modify your Zap to trigger when a participant cancels their attendance to an event. However, it's important to note that Google Calendar's API does not directly provide a trigger for when a participant cancels their attendance. 

Here's a workaround you can consider:

1. You can set up a Zap that triggers on any update to an event in your Google Calendar. This will include updates where a participant cancels their attendance.

2. Then, you can add a filter step to your Zap that checks if the update was a cancellation by a participant. This can be done by checking the `attendees` field in the event data for changes.

3. If the filter condition is met (i.e., a participant cancelled their attendance), you can proceed with your action step to delete the event.

To set up this, you can use the "Update Event" action in Google Calendar. Here is the (https://nla.zapier.com/openai/actions/new/GoogleCalendarAPI/write/update_event/) to set up this action.

Please note that this is a workaround and might not work perfectly for all scenarios. For instance, it might trigger for other updates to the event as well, not just cancellations by participants. You might need to refine the filter conditions based on your specific needs.

Remember to test your Zap thoroughly to ensure it works as expected."

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the reply. I had the same idea, but I might have implemented it wrong. I also noticed that this trigger doesn’t take effect on cancellations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @klaebuveien.vaskemaskin 

Good question.

Perhaps use a scheduling app such as Calendly.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the input, I’ll check it out.

Userlevel 1

@Goo 

I was unable to filter on the field “attendees”. The test reveals that this field is a list of objects. Is there any way to filter on such fields in Zapier?

Userlevel 1

Could this possibly be a bug? When testing the “On cancel” action, it is able to load events that other participants have cancelled, and successfully delete them. But they still remain on the calendar when performing a test outside Zapier.

Userlevel 1

Unsure about how to interpret this:

@klaebuveien.vaskemaskin 

Hmm,
it seems that the zap encountered an issue because it was trying to work with something that was deleted. The deleted resource could be a file, a database entry, or any other type of data. To resolve this, you'll need to investigate the zap's settings and make sure it's working with the correct and existing resources.

• "errors errors 1": It means there was one error that occurred.
  • "reason: deleted": The error happened because something was deleted.
  • "message: resource has been deleted": This means that a specific thing (referred to as a resource) that the zap was trying to use or access has been removed or no longer exists.
  • "code: 410": This code indicates the type of error, and in this case, it suggests that the resource is permanently gone.
  • “domain: global”: Not exactly sure what this means but 

The "domain: global" part could potentially indicate the location or type of the resource that encountered the error. It could be referring to the specific domain or category of the resource that the zap was trying to access or work with when the error occurred.

For example, if you were using Zapier to integrate with a specific app or service, the "domain" could represent that app or service. It might indicate that the error occurred within the global or overall context of that particular app or service.

@klaebuveien.vaskemaskin 

Yes, there is a way to filter on fields that contain a list of objects in Zapier. When dealing with a field like "attendees" that is a list of objects, you can use Zapier's "Filter" step and apply custom logic to filter the desired objects within that list.

Here's how you can filter on fields that contain a list of objects in Zapier:

1. After the trigger step in your Zap, add a "Filter" step.
  2. In the filter configuration, select the field that contains the list of objects, in this case, "attendees."
  3. Choose the appropriate filter condition based on your requirements. For example, if you want to filter attendees based on a specific attribute like their email address, you can use a condition like "Email is" or "Email contains."
  4. Provide the value or pattern you want to match against in the condition. This will depend on the specific attribute you are filtering on. For example, if you want to match a specific email address, enter that email address in the value field.
  5. Save and test your filter to ensure it correctly identifies the desired objects within the list.

By using the "Filter" step and setting up the condition based on the properties of the objects within the list, you can effectively filter and process the desired objects in your Zap.

Note: Make sure to check the available options in the "Filter" step, as they may vary depending on the specific app and field you are working with in Zapier.

@klaebuveien.vaskemaskin  I can help you troubleshoot if you can provide your zap config settings and google calendar setup

1. Zap Configuration: Provide details about the configuration of your Zap. Include information such as:

• Trigger settings: Any specific settings or options you've chosen for the trigger.
    • Action settings: Details about the action step configuration, including any specific settings or options you've selected.
  2. Google Calendar Setup: 

• Calendar settings: Any specific settings or preferences you've applied to the calendar involved in the Zap.
    • Sharing settings: Information about the sharing and access permissions configured for the calendar.
Userlevel 1

@Goo  Thank you very much. I will come back to you when I find some spare time. Might be a couple of days.

@klaebuveien.vaskemaskin 

Sounds good! feel free to @ me whenever you want.