Best answer

Zap Manager not getting error

I have a Zap that uses a webhook to make an API call. When it returns an error I want to trigger another Zap. I have tried using the zap manager to do this, but for some reason it will not display the error data in the zap manager even though the other zap has had an error. Any ideas why?

That’s the error

Then it will not show in the zap manager

icon

Best answer by zachshefska 12 March 2022, 19:35

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @zachshefska 

Have you tried to configure your Zap with the Zapier Manager trigger step, then turn the Zap ON, and test live?

Check the Zap Runs for the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Hi @zachshefska 

Have you tried to configure your Zap with the Zapier Manager trigger step, then turn the Zap ON, and test live?

Check the Zap Runs for the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I have a live test that errored (see screenshot). Yes for some reason the zap manager just pulls in the dummy data … Any other ideas? I appreciate your assistance.

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove sensitive information. Please remember to obfuscate any personally identifiable information prior to posting as this is a public forum. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @zachshefska 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap with the Zapier Manager trigger is configured.

Hi @zachshefska 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap with the Zapier Manager trigger is configured.

Sure thing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zachshefska 

What about the other Zap steps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zachshefska 

These are the Zapier Manager New Zap Error data points available to map to action steps in a Zap:

@zachshefska

What about the other Zap steps?

Nothing yet. I need to see what the error data shows me to shat I can program the rest of the zap. 

@zachshefska

These are the Zapier Manager New Zap Error data points available to map to action steps in a Zap:

Got it. I guess to back up for a second, what I am trying to do is trigger a new zap to be my “error handler” for when the zap that makes an API call via the webhook returns an error. I assumed using the zap manager was the best way to approach this, but maybe not? Let me know what you think Troy! I appreciate your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zachshefska 

For any Zap Error these will be the fields available to map to Zap action steps.
NOTE: This is just sample data so you can map the variables between Zap steps.

Try configuring your Zap to handle the Zap Errors, then turn that Zap ON, and test your other Zap to have an error, which should trigger this Zap.

@zachshefska

For any Zap Error these will be the fields available to map to Zap action steps.
NOTE: This is just sample data so you can map the variables between Zap steps.

Try configuring your Zap to handle the Zap Errors, then turn that Zap ON, and test your other Zap to have an error, which should trigger this Zap.

Okay, I did as you suggested. I am confused. So the error was thrown and the zap manager zap fired.

What I’m still struggling with is seeing the data input so that I can then work with that in the new zap.

I need the users email address which we have in the other zap in the error zap so that I can email them and let them know we ran into an error. That’s what I am trying to accomplish

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove sensitive information. Please remember to obfuscate any personally identifiable information prior to posting as this is a public forum. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zachshefska 

Click into this to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step:

@zachshefska

Click into this to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step:

I know. I do not see data from the errored zap. Where is it??

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zachshefska 

If this is an example of the error message, then it won’t have an email address:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zachshefska 

Check the DATA OUT tab:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zachshefska 

You might be better served by adding a Filter step then an action step in your original Zap to handle errors instead of using the Zapier Manager in this case.

@zachshefska

You might be better served by adding a Filter step then an action step in your original Zap to handle errors instead of using the Zapier Manager in this case.

I would do that but the zap stops running once the error occurs in the webhook action

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zachshefska 

Zap steps will continue to process additional action steps as long as there are 0 mapped variables from the Zap step that had an error for those additional Zap action steps.

Try this…

(Not 100% sure this will work but worth a try.)

Add another Webhook - POST Request step after the API request.

Add a webhook URL from a new Zap that has a Zap Webhook - Catch Hook trigger: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help

Leave the Data section empty.

Take note of the description underneath the Data section.

If you need to pass thru the email address from the Zap trigger step, do so using a query string parameter. (e.g. ?email=[EMAIL])

Then you can configure the new Zap to Filter based on whether received data payload was a success.

@zachshefska

Zap steps will continue to process additional action steps as long as there are 0 mapped variables from the Zap step that had an error for those additional Zap action steps.

Try this…

Add a webhook URL from a new Zap that has a Zap Webhook - Catch Hook trigger: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help

If you need to pass thru the email address from the Zap trigger step, do so using a query string parameter. (e.g. ?email=[EMAIL])

Then you can configure the new Zap to Filter based on whether received data payload was a success.

Nice! I will give this a shot and report back … Thank you sir!

@zachshefska

Try this…

Nice! I will give this a shot and report back … Thank you sir!

Brilliant! This worked! Thank you so much :-)