Question

Why are all the contacts I send to Mailchimp being assigned 2 names?

• 31 January 2024
  • 8 replies

I have a Zap running that sends email sign-ups from Hello Bar to Mailchimp. Since Hello Bar only collects data from 1 name field, the customers’ full names were being added to both the First Name and Last Name fields in Zapier and showing up that way in mailchimp. For example: “First Name: John Smith Last Name: John Smith.”

I was able to use the formatter to split the names into first name and last name and send them to Mailchimp that way. However, when I look at the contacts in Mailchimp, all the names now look like this “First Name: John, John Last Name: Smith, Smith.”

Any ideas on why that would be? Or possible solutions?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @pianotrax 

For us to have full context, we would need to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured, thanks.

Here’s what my zap looks like, what it’s sending to Mailchimp, and how it’s showing up in my Mailchimp audience.

the zap
Here’s how the names show up in Mailchimp. I’ve checked and Hellobar isn’t integrated with Mailchimp other than through this zap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@pianotrax 

Can you show screenshots with how each Zap step is configured in the EDIT mode?

Step 1:

Step 2

Step 3:

Step 4:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@pianotrax 

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

OBSERVATION

You may have a missing Separator in Step 3.

Did you ever get this figured out? It was not an issue for me until recently 

@pianotrax @Troy Tessalone was this ever resolved? It was not duplicating the name previously and now is doing so for new contacts. Nothing was changed on the Zap

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@pianotrax and @chasemoxie 

If the issue persists, I recommend opening a ticket with Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help