Question

Unable to trigger Slack message from data validation dropdown selection in Google Sheets.

• 22 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello!

I'm currently facing a challenge with Zapier and would appreciate your insights.

Here's the scenario: l'm using Data Validation in Google Sheets, and I want to trigger a Slack message when someone selects "Submitted" in a dropdown menu within a specific row (via Data Validation).

I've set up the Zap to find the row, but it seems to struggle with parsing the different dropdown menu items. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Data Validation in Zapier and can shed some light on whether it's recognizable and how to handle dropdown menu selections effectively.

If you've encountered a similar issue or have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this, l'd be grateful for your help!

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @SonOfOakPM 

Good question.

Can you post screenshots with how the top 3 rows of your GSheet is configured?

Can you explain more with a specific example and screenshots about the “Data Validation” involved?

Absolutely! 

Here is the column (COL$R) and the Data Validation drop down that I want to use for my Zap to trigger. 
When a Status is changed to “Submitted”, it sends a Channel Message to Slack.

However, it gets a little bit confusing in this part.

#1. 

#2. 

It doesn’t seem to recognize any of the Data Validation entries, including “Submitted.” Everything else is ready except for the first step, which is the initial trigger. I’m not sure how ot be able to work around it, especially because it is a shared document within the Google Team Drive.

Any thoughts?

​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@SonOfOakPM 

Make sure to review the help articles for using GSheets in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

Especially how GSheets need to be configured to work in Zaps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496276985101-Work-with-Google-Sheets-in-Zaps

Hey Troy, 

I reviewed the documentation. It seems like my Google sheets are configured correctly. Still having trouble with Zapier recognizing any of the Data Validation contents. Do we just not have that capability in Zapier?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@SonOfOakPM 

Can you show screenshots of the data returned from Step 1?

Can you post screenshots with how your first 3 rows and first few columns are configured?

Looks like you may have a blank row 1.

Absolutely! Here you go.

Also, the first row looks like there’s nothing in it, but there is typing. It’s just blended in with the fill color; but it is essentially copied from Row 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@SonOfOakPM 

Can you show screenshots of the data returned from Step 1?