Question

Unable to import particular tasks from Google Tasks from Microsoft To Do and vice versa

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to automate the sending of tasks between Microsoft To Do and Google Tasks.

I’m able to get tasks to go back and forth between the two applications if no task with the same name exists for the most part, however I’ve run into an issue that Microsoft To Do will not import a task from Google Tasks if there is an apostrophe in the Google task’s name. (i.e. if I want to make the task’s action possessive, such as “Audit Tony’s Audio Files”.)

Google Tasks

Microsoft To Do

Error Message

Additionally, if I create sub-tasks in Microsoft To Do for a task that is in Google Calendar, Zapier thinks that the original task doesn’t exist and then creates a “new” task and I end up with duplicates in Microsoft To Do.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Besk 

Can you please clarify your question?

Userlevel 1

Hi Troy! Sure. I am stumbling on trying to move a Task from Google Tasks to Microsoft To Do, but having an apostrophe in the former’s task name causes an error. Am I doing something wrong in creating the zap that would generate that error?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Besk 

Please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to give us more context.

Userlevel 1

Can do!

Trigger Module
Action Module w/ Action
Action Module w/ Failed Test
Filter Module​​​​​​
Final Action Module

I’m able to trick it into passing the filter module, but if I do all the tests in sequential order, it breaks and then the final creation of the task doesn’t work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Besk 

Position 26 indicates character position 26

There are only 25 characters in this title: Finish Bradley's Messages

So it doesn’t seem to be related to the apostrophe.

Check to make sure trailing whitespace is removed from the title.

Perhaps try this Zap action: Formatter > Text > Remove Whitespace

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone 

Ah, okay, that makes a lot more sense.

I did try this, but I still get an error relating to Position 26.

I also checked the input field in Google Tasks and it has 25 characters in the title field. So, I’m not sure why it thinks that there are 26 characters in the field.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Besk 

Some things to try…

Use a Formatter > Date / Time > Format Date to set the values as YYYY-MM-DD

Try testing w/o the apostrophe.

If you are still encountering an issue, then it may be a bug with the Zap action.

If you have a Zapier paid plan, you can open a ticket with Zapier Support here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1

I appreciate the advice. I’ll give that a shot and let you know.

I don’t have a paid plan because it’s really just for me to synchronize between To Do and Tasks, because the latter doesn’t have a desktop app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Besk! 👋

Just wanted to check in to see whether you were able to get things working with Troy’s suggestions here? Let us know if you’re still running into any issues! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi @SamB! 👋

I’ve had a few other things get in the way so I haven’t been able to focus on this. I’ll try later today and get back to the both of you on this.