Question

Trouble Finding Charges on Stripe to filter through on Zapier

Badge

I'm attempting to locate completed checkout sessions on Stripe and sift through the data to categorize customers for a specific email sequence. However, I'm encountering difficulty as I'm unable to locate the Stripe Charge ID on Zapier. Despite Stripe providing all the necessary data, it seems inaccessible through Zapier. Why could this be occurring, and what steps can I take to access the required data on Zapier?

As seen a lot of the items show “no data”. The account shows the general data but has not been updated to include any checkout sessions that have been completed. 

39 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Alexandra R. 

In order for us to have full context, post screenshots with how the steps are outlined and configured, thanks.

Badge
the data we already have in the checkout appearing

when trying to find customer email or other information after checkout session has been completed not appearing. 
so when i try to create an email for example and trying to send it the the customer there is no data found.
this is stripe showing the data is there. covered for customer protection* 
but there also being a section where it comes up as null. unsure if this is causing the problem

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

The field description provides guidance about the format of the Stripe Charge ID.

You can search by “ch_” to narrow down the variables to map from previous Zap steps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

Make sure to add a Filter as Step 2 to only continue for “completed” Stripe Checkout Sessions.

Make sure to use a Zap trigger example that is for a “completed” Stripe Checkout Session, otherwise some variables won’t have data. (e.g. “No data”)

Badge

Where would I use this? In this trigger step, finding charge step, or when trying to find the email of the customer?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

In this field.

Badge

I have attempted doing what you suggested. 

creating the 2nd filter 
trying to find the charge 

For the 3rd step I am trying to find the charges. I am unsure if this is the correct format. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

That is not a valid Stripe Charge ID.

Check the field description for guidance about valid values and examples.

Badge

Is this what you mean? These also do not pass the test or include relevant information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

To derive the Stripe Charge ID, try these steps:

Badge

I attempted and was either not able to find the input or it came up as having not data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

Try this...

Make sure to use a Zap trigger example that has a Status as “completed” Stripe Checkout Session, otherwise some variables won’t have data. (e.g. “No data”)

Badge

Where do I check if the status is completed? I am viewing the trigger and it just asks for the event and then it tests the account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

Search for status in the DATA OUT from the Zap trigger step in the “TEST” section.

Badge

This? If that is the case then it currently does not contain the data I am looking for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

Try selecting/searching other examples.

Example of the Status field

Badge

I have chosen checkout D and F, where it says open for status, and when I move onto the payment intent on the next step it still says no data for both. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

You probably need to test live (complete checkout sessions) and click the button [Find New Records] in order to find representative Zap trigger examples to use to configure the Zap action steps.

Badge

If I click complete checkout sessions as the trigger does it not already look for test for live examples? I have also clicked find new records and it does not display any new information. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

From experience, the Zap trigger data for “completed” can be interpreted as a checkout session that has been finished meaning it may have been abandoned, successful, etc.

Did you try testing live as an end user, then pull thru fresh examples in the Zap trigger data?

Badge

What do you mean by pull-through fresh examples in the Zap trigger? 

There is a customer who has completed the checkout and I have tried finding their information in the data but it does not appear if that is what you mean by pulling through fresh examples in the trigger data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

Only the 3 most recent examples events will pull thru when using the [Find New Records] button.

Badge

Yes I have gone through that and it does not show me any new information from completed checkout sessions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alexandra R. 

Custom pill mapping may be an option to help you configure the Zap steps:

OR try turning the Zap ON, then testing live.

You can check the Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Badge

I was in contact with Stripe and was wondering if because the checkout wasn’t created using Zapier that is the reason why I cannot find the data needed. Is there a way I can retrieve the data?