Best answer

SurveyMonkey email collector in first question not working for Send Survey action

• 2 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Has anyone been able to successfully automate sending a SurveyMonkey survey using an Email Collector with an embedded the first question?

I’d like to make use of the feature to embed the first question in the email, but when I use the [FirstQuestion] variable, it isn’t included, I just get the survey link.  When I send the email collector from SurveyMonkey, the embedded question works fine.  How do I include this with the automation?

Also, the behavior is very odd.  When I manually construct an email message with the explicit [Privacy], [FooterLink] and [OptOutLink] declarations in addition to the [FirstQuestion] I just lose all the HTML formatting.

I even tried taking the HTML returned from the form and adding bracket enclosures to the “...Links” but got a msg that jinja formatting wasn’t supported.

Anyone know what is going on here?

icon

Best answer by mixelpix 4 February 2022, 20:43

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Is there a way to edit the HTML so the FirstQuestion logic is correctly parsed?

<html><body ... {% if FirstQuestion %} <p>We're running a survey and would love your input. Please let us know what you think below. Thanks for participating!</p> {% else %} ... {% endif %} ... {% if FirstQuestion %} <tr>[FirstQuestion]</tr> {% else %} ...{% endif %} ... >

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @mixelpix 

Have you reviewed this help article about the supported question types and design requirements?

https://help.surveymonkey.com/articles/en_US/kb/Embedding-Questions-in-an-Email

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Have you reviewed this help article about the supported question types and design requirements?

Yep, it’s a multiple choice yes/no (see the borked html pic) and doesn’t use any prohibited Survey Design Requirements.

Embedding the first question works just fine when I send it directly from the SurveyMonkey website.  It just doesn't work from Zapier’s Send Survey action.

Most of the design requirements aren’t even an option on the Standard plan I’m working with but given the API limits of the Standard plan maybe I need to upgrade to an annual plan?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mixelpix 

That question is probably better suited for SurveyMoneky Support.

You can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support to see if they can offer any guidance: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

SurveyMonkey tech support says they do not offer HTML support, but did give me a working example formatted to appease Zapier.

Your mileage may vary, but this HTML is workable for the message body:
https://github.com/mixelpixel/Zapier-Javascript/blob/main/surveyMonkeyEmbedded1stQuestionZapier.html

From my testing it works for either multiple-choice questions or Star Ratings (NPS).

I tested sending it to macOS email, Outlook and GMail.

Both the HTML rendering looks good, and the answering behavior works as expected: answering the questions loads a web page with the rest of the survey & the answer to the first question carries over to the webpage.

Njoy!

<html>
<body style="margin:0; padding: 0;">
<div align="center">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" align="center" width="100%" style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; max-width: 700px;">
<tr bgcolor="#00BF6F">
<td colspan="5" height="40">&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr bgcolor="#00BF6F">
<td width="20">&nbsp;</td>
<!-- Adjust This Text -->
<td align="center" style="font-size: 29px; color:#FFF; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: 1px; line-height: 1; text-shadow: -1px -1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2); font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"> Tell Us About Yourself </td>
</tr>
<tr bgcolor="#00BF6F">
<td colspan="5" height="40">&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="10" colspan="5">&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
<td colspan="3" align="left" valign="top" style="color:#666666; font-size: 13px;">
<!-- Adjust This Text -->
<p>We'd like to make sure we have the latest details about you. Please let us know how we're doing and a webpage will open with a survey. Thanks for participating!</p>
</td>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr>[FirstQuestion]</tr>
<tr valign="top" style="color: #666666;font-size: 10px;">
<td>&nbsp;</td>
<td valign="top" align="center" colspan="3">
<!-- Leave This Text As Is -->
<p>Please do not forward this email as its survey link is unique to you. <br>
<a href="[PrivacyLink]" target="_blank" style="color: #333333; text-decoration: underline;">Privacy</a> | <a href="[OptOutLink]" target="_blank" style="color: #333333; text-decoration: underline;">Unsubscribe</a>
</p>
</td>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="20" colspan="5">&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr style="color: #999999;font-size: 10px;">
<td align="center" colspan="5">[FooterLink]</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="20" colspan="5">&nbsp;</td>