Mailchimp tag not working when adding new subscriber from Squarespace form

Hi everyone, I can’t figure out where I’m going wrong here but I cannot add a tag when I add/update a subscriber in Mailchimp because Zapier says the email address isn’t subscribed, and the actions say the email user must already be subscribed to the audience (see step 2) or the action will fail, and I can’t find a way to subscribe and tag someone at the same time. The objective is to tag an email address in mailchimp from the squarespace form and I’m running into the same hang-up no matter how I try it because they say they’re not subscribed yet (even though the act of submitting the form is subscribing).

Thanks for any help!

10 replies

Further context-- this is where I’m ending.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Engagement Manager,

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your “Add Subscriber to Tag” step is configured in the “Action” section of that step?

ca2f3e801d104473ab1bc14fd17b567c.png
(view larger)

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Engagement Manager,

Thank you so much for sharing the screenshot with us. It's really helpful!

From what I can see, it appears that you reached out to our Support team regarding this issue, and they suggested adding a Delay by Zapier step. Looking at the screenshot of your Delay by Zapier step in the Support ticket, it seems that you may have mapped an email address to the "Time Delayed For (value)" field. However, the "Time Delayed For (value)" field expects a numerical or decimal value. To make the Delay step work properly, our Support team recommended using a 5-minute delay. Therefore, I recommend simply typing the number 5 in the "Time Delayed For (value)" field.

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Hi Again! I’ve fixed the delay (thank you for all the advice!) but unfortunately I’m still ending with the same result. Any other ideas beyond adding the 5 min delay?

Anything helps! Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Engagement Manager,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to fix the Delay step! Looking at the error message, it seems like the issue is related to a "validation" error, possibly because the email address mapped is a test email (zapier-demo@squarespace.com). To troubleshoot this, I suggest skipping the action step by clicking on "Skip test" and then turning on the Zap. Afterwards, you can trigger the Zap by submitting a new form on Squarespace with a valid email address. This will help us determine if the same error occurs again.

Furthermore, please keep in mind the helpful text provided in the "Add Subscriber to Tag in Mailchimp" step. If you encounter the same error when triggering the Zap while it's published, the "Audience" field might be another factor to consider. Make sure to select the same audience in both the "Add/Update Subscriber in Mailchimp" step and the "Add Subscriber to Tag in Mailchimp" step.

e9495931f9c1ac013a68272876c8e9c1.png
(view larger)

I hope these steps help you further troubleshoot and resolve any lingering issues.

Hello-- Unfortunately even when I skip the test and use my own email when inputting the form into the Squarespace form I still have 0 people tagged in Mailchimp at the end of the process. They Audience field is “All Contacts” throughout the Zap. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Engagement Manager,

Thanks for letting me know!

Hmm, could you please send a screenshot of the “Action” section of your “Add/Update Subscriber” that shows the “Audience” field? I apologize, but this is for me to take a closer look.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Engagement Manager,

Thanks for the screenshot! The setup of your Zap looks good to me. Could you please try these troubleshooting steps for me?

1. Turn off your Zap.
  2. Reconnect your Squarespace account and Mailchimp account here: https://zapier.com/app/connections/squarespacehttps://zapier.com/app/connections/mailchimp
  3. Publish the Zap again.
  4. Trigger the Zap while it’s published by creating a new submission in Squarespace, and ensure that you’re using a valid email address that is not in your Mailchimp app.

Please give that a try, and keep me posted. Thanks! 😊