Question

LeadConnector Zap creating unintended contacts when trying to only update existing ones

• 2 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi, I'm working on automating a process, and as part of it, I require a Zap with LeadConnector. However, I'm encountering an issue where I only want to update existing contacts by adding a tag to them. While this functionality is already implemented, the 'create/update' option sometimes results in the creation of contacts that I don't intend to create. Is there a way to ensure that it only updates existing contacts? Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @LoneStar 

For us to have full context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured, thanks.

For more control, the GHL API can be used: https://help.gohighlevel.com/support/solutions/articles/48001060529-highlevel-api

This is my Zap

But on the add/update contact in LeadConnector, I want it to be Update only, is there any way for this? because otherwise if the contact doesn’t exist, it will create a new one, and I don’t want that. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@LoneStar 

We would need to see screenshots with how your Zap Step 2 is configured to have full context.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@LoneStar 

New contacts might be created due to the phone number format.

You may want to first stardardized the phone number format being used.

Formatter > Numbers > Phone Number Format

Sometimes, incoming phone numbers do not correspond to an existing contact in our system, prompting the creation of a new contact which is what we don’t want. However, if the contact already exists, it simply updates it rather than creating a duplicate. Hence, I'm seeking a solution to ensure that the system only updates existing contacts and refrains from creating new ones unnecessarily. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@LoneStar 

If you need help, consider hiring a Certified Zapier Expert.

You would need to use the GHL API so search for a Contact by Phone #, followed by a Filter step.

For more control, the GHL API can be used: https://help.gohighlevel.com/support/solutions/articles/48001060529-highlevel-api