Best answer

Jira Cloud: Description field contents aren't available intact

• 6 April 2023
  • 3 replies

When setting up the Action for a “Update Issue in JIRA Software Cloud” step, a Description field is available to “Enter text or Insert data” , but when attempting to pull existing Description data from a previous step(Find Issue in Jira Software Cloud), there is no Description field in the "Insert Data” list. 

Description on JIRA Issue:

The closest thing I found was "Fields Description Content Content Text”. It contains the text from the Description, but any formatting / links are stripped out, and each line becomes separated by comma.

If I am attempting to append to this Description field, I would lose formatting, line breaks, links, etc. on Description.

Description on JIRA Issue after testing the action:

Does anyone know the reason why this works this way? Is there a limitation of some kind in the way Zapier gets it’s data from Jira Software Cloud for this “App”? Is there anything that could be done so I could append to a field like Description, and retain all of the current content?

I have a workaround for what I am attempting to do, but this is something I’d like to understand, so I can be sure it isn’t something that I can correct on my end. Thanks

FYI, My workaround is taking the comma separated “Fields Description Content Content Text”, and replacing commas with the line break character.

icon

Best answer by christina.d 7 April 2023, 23:39

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @ab-fl 

Welcome to the Community!

We created our user interface because we don’t want our members to be confused about the data coming from the trigger and action, which is why you see it as a summarization.

Hello @Brem , thanks for the fast response. When you say “summarization” are you referring to the data summary shown here in the red box?

If so, I do understand that is only a summarization of the data available. My issue is that this field “Fields Description Content Content Text” contains my Description but with formatting removed. I proved this by running the zap action, and you can see that after, the Description formatting changes:

From Jira ticket, before running the action:

From Jira ticket, after running the action to add “test appending” to the Description:

Notice the line breaks are removed, and commas have been added​​​

I am trying to understand where this limitation is coming from. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there,  @ab-fl! Thanks for reaching out in community - thanks for such a thorough explanation of what you’re seeing!

I did some digging and it looks like the description field only supports plain text. 😔 Here’s a similar question that goes into more depth:

That said, I did add your vote to that feature request that’s mentioned. 👆🏽 While I don’t have an ETA on when or if this will be implemented, it is the best way to stay informed if anything changes. If this does go live it’ll ensure you receive an email.
We’ll also be sure to announce any changes on the main thread above.

Sorry to not have better news here but really appreciate you flagging this in community! Keep us posted if you have any other question - always happy to help!