Best answer

Gravity Forms / Zoho Desk Zap getting “The data is invalid due to validation restrictions-/contactId” error

Trying to connect a Gravity Forms contact form to Zoho Desk and I’m getting the following error:

The app returned `{"message":"The data is invalid due to validation restrictions-/contactId"} What happened: Executing creates.create_ticket.operation.perform with bundle {"message":"The data is invalid due to validation restrictions-/contactId"} Console logs: Custom field URL ---> https://desk.zoho.com/api/v1/myForm?orgId=803566197&module=tickets&departmentId=838596000000006907 Response Code : 200 Cust fields {} date crct2023-05-02T12:00:00-04:00 date 2023-05-02T12:00:00 2023-05-02T12:00:00.000Z Add Ticket {"departmentId":"838596000000006907","contactId":"John Doe","subject":"KCD Support","email":"plato@hotmail.com","phone":"(316) 636-9517","description":"On April 11 we received our order but no hinges/hardware was included! Please call me!","category":"General","status":"Open","assigneeId":"838596000002834001","dueDate":"2023-05-02T12:00:00.000Z","priority":"Medium","channel":"Web","classification":"-None-","customFields":{}} ` as error, which we cannot read.

What does this mean? The data is invalid due to validation restrictions-/contactId

We don’t have a form field called “contactId”. Is this supposed to come from the Zoho side of things?

Also don’t know what this part at the end is referring to "customFields":{}}

Any help is appreciated.

THANKS

icon

Best answer by Danvers 3 May 2023, 16:59

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @draney, welcome to the Community!

Ah yes, the “contactid” would be the unique ID number for the contact that Zoho is expecting to receive here. Judging by the text in there error, it looks like the contact’s name instead of their ID has been selected in the Contact field on the Create Ticket (Zoho Desk) action.

I’d suggest using a Find Contact (Zoho Desk) search action to search for the existing Zoho contact, using the name supplied by the Gravity Forms trigger (see Search for existing data in Zaps for more details). I believe it also has the ability to create a new contact in Zoho Desk if one isn’t found. Then, in the Contact field on that Create Ticket action, you can to select the contact’s ID, as a custom value (see Add custom values to dropdown menu fields in Zaps) from the previous search step.

Hope that helps. Please do let us know how you get on here! 

That is helpful, but the form is essentially a contact us form. In almost every case, it would need to create a new contact and the contact person’s name is the most important piece of information. If that isn’t supposed to go in the Contact field, how else do we capture it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @draney 

You need to create the contact first in Zoho Desk before trying to create the Ticket. You are currently passing a value in the Contact field in the Ticket that doesnt belong to a Contact, this is why you are getting this error. 

I added the Find Contact field and set it to create a new contact in Zoho if not found. But now I’m getting a new error message:

Failed to find or create a find_contact in Zoho Desk

The app returned `{"message":"The data is invalid due to validation restrictions"} What happened: Executing creates.create_contact.operation.perform with bundle {"message":"The data is invalid due to validation restrictions"} Console logs: Custom field URL ---> https://desk.zoho.com/api/v1/myForm?orgId=805366197&module=contacts Response Code : 200 Add Contact {"email":"johndoe@gmail.com","accountId":"154-2023-05-01 14:10:18","lastName":"Doe","firstName":"John","description":"Hello, \r\n\r\nI tried calling your number and selecting the option on the phone menu to speak to an operator, but it doesn't seem to be working. I am in the process of refacing kitchen cabinets and am interested in placing an order in the next few weeks. Since I am working on a refacing project I found that the \"38B for Face Mount\" hinge also offered by Blum is the ideal solution (https://a.co/d/9J4cvYl). I looked if any other cabinet hinge variations are offered on your website, but didn't see anything. I am wondering if that hinge is something your company can source for me?\r\n\r\nAny information is much appreciated,\r\nSebastian","phone":"(616) 226-2321","customFields":{}} ` as error, which we cannot read.

Is this because they entered a URL in their comment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I would suggest you you try to test it by adding fake data in the comment part for example and see if it works. If it does, you can then use Formatter by Zapier to make sure you remove any links (Remove HTML Tags) before moving to the create contact part. 

I tried that. But still get the error

Failed to find or create a find_contact in Zoho Desk

The app returned `{"message":"The data is invalid due to validation restrictions"} What happened: Executing creates.create_contact.operation.perform with bundle {"message":"The data is invalid due to validation restrictions"} Console logs: Custom field URL ---> https://desk.zoho.com/api/v1/myForm?orgId=805366197&module=contacts Response Code : 200 Add Contact {"email":"johndoe@gmail.com","accountId":"154-2023-05-01 14:10:18","lastName":"Doe","firstName":"John","description":"I tried to call you","phone":"(616) 226-2321","customFields":{}} ` as error, which we cannot read.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @draney,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

Before we dig deeper into this, could you please share a detailed screenshot with how your Zap is configured? Especially, the “Action” section of the action steps. Please don’t include/blur out any personal information in the screenshot.

Thanks! 😊

Here is Action section for Find Contact in Zoho Desk

And here is the error message for that section

Here is the Action section for Create Ticket in Zoho Desk

And here is the error for that section

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @draney,

Thanks for providing the screenshots!

Looking at the screenshot, it seems like one of the issue here is the mapped data in the “Account” field. Could you please try removing those, and test the action step again?

8df8714d7be5b4da98a88808b8c5e6bc.png
(view larger)

Please keep us posted! 😊

That worked for that step. But I still get an error when I test the Create Ticket step

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Looking at the screenshot, it seems like one of the issue here is the mapped data in the “Account” field. Could you please try removing those, and test the action step again?

8df8714d7be5b4da98a88808b8c5e6bc.png
(view larger)

Please keep us posted! 😊

Hi @draney!

In the Create Ticket step, for the Contact field, you need to use the Contact ID, not the contact name. You’ll have the contact ID from the Find or Create Contact action. 

This help guide explains using custom values in dropdown fields, which should be helpful here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241696141

​Let us know if you have any questions!

That did it. Thank you!!