Best answer

Google Assistant integration to ChatGPT malfunctioning

• 24 April 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi guys.

Zapier docs saying under test circumstances it's 50 seconds to wait for the answer until closing connection to a 3rd party service like ChatGPT.

I am trying to compare the answers for the question piped through via zapier to ChatGPT, and the raw content from the web interface, but it's totally different.

Mostly i got error messages back, like i don't get it etc.

It seems the delay for the response of ChatGPT service is too short, because simply the integration of Google assistant is failing to work.

Anybody has a Google Assistant -> ChatGPT integration experience?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 25 April 2023, 12:35

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Zludany! I don’t have experience connecting Google Assistant to ChatGPT, but I’d like to see if I can help you with this 😊

Could you share the steps in your Zap and which one is giving the timeout errors? That will help us to see if there’s something we can do to workaround or mitigate the error.  

Thanks!

Hi @Danvers .

I am newbie to zapier, however not that newbie in webprogramming.

Zaps history shows, that however the task has run multiple times, it didn't come up without errors.

Assumably timeout.

Return message on Google assistant was:

• try again

• didn't get

• sorry, don't understand

• don't know how to help with this 

https://zapier.com/shared/6b51edae07bb6848fc8f6b5424aebf215b780692

I am on the free trier right now, trying to make valuable things out of zapier automations, while Google home assistant and ChatGPT seemed like a good bet.

Thanks for your help!

@Danvers , one more question.

Why should i input the question query as a required param in action??

Should i give this through Google assistant, shouldn't i?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Zludany! Thanks for sharing the extra context.

While we don’t access to view your zaps in community, we’d still love to do dig into this with you. If the zap is triggering and then not moving forward to the next step sometimes it says something to the effect of “Stopped - errored” in the history. Are you able to click into that individual zap run? The reason I ask is sometimes there’s a more specific error message that’ll tell us more and help us troubleshoot accordingly.

Why should i input the question query as a required param in action?...Should i give this through Google assistant, shouldn't i?

You got it! We’ll need to map the Google Assistant trigger response into the “User Message” section. Depending on what you’d like ChatGPT to do with that information though you may need to provide some additional instructions. I’d recommend playing around with that area, tweaking the instructions as needed to make sure you’re getting the desired responses.

I hope that helps! 🙂

Hey @christina.d ,

User message, the input is sent by zapier to ChatGPT is fixed, which is not good.

It should have been changed dynamically after the zap has been triggered.

Should be waiting for an input.

// 1st screenshot.

The respose gathered from zapier from ChatGPT has never been transfered to Google home, so the integration is not working.

// 2nd screenshot 

You can say i should subscribe to autoreplay feature.

But the zapier's zap hasn't even triggered properly once.

However it showed that it run successfully.

Which is definitely false information.

Summary:

The problem is in zapier's Google Assistant integration.

Try to fix it.

There should be 2 problems exists in parallel as shown above.

Zapier's having the response actually but not propagated to Google Assistant properly, 2nd screenshot.

It can be seen the user-assistant conversation arrived at least 7 times during the round-trip.

7x2=14 responseContext in each conversation with the same query from the user, with the same query from the assistant.

NONSENSE!!

​​​​

Zapier's should have been waiting for user's input, it couldn't be a fixed input, as i am not asking for the same things all the time.

1st screenshot.

With the problems above in integration quality, i would never be a paid user eventually!

Typo:

User message, the input is sent by zapier to ChatGPT is **constant**, which is not good.

It should have been changed dynamically after the zap has been triggered.

Should be waiting for an input.

// 1st screenshot.

The **response** gathered **by** zapier from ChatGPT **has actually run multiple times in a session**, but has never **actually** been transfered to Google home, so the integration is not working.

// 2nd screenshot 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Zludany!

Reading through this thread, there are a few things that could be at play. If it’s ok with you, I’d like to rule out the basics first.

User message, the input is sent by zapier to ChatGPT is **constant**, which is not good.

It should have been changed dynamically after the zap has been triggered

In the ChatGPT step, you need to map the response from Google Assistant. That means clicking on the user message field and selecting the Google Assistant field. You should have those fields after you successfully test the trigger step. 

The **response** gathered **by** zapier from ChatGPT **has actually run multiple times in a session**, but has never **actually** been transfered to Google home, so the integration is not working.

This is a limitation of the Google Assistant Zapier integration. You would need an action to send the information back to Google Assistant so it can relay that information to you. The Google Assistant integration only has a trigger and no actions. In other words, you can use Google Assistant to trigger Zaps but you can’t then send the information back to it. For example, you could use Zapier to ask Google Assistant to send you the answer to your question via text or email. 

It’s worth pointing out that if you did want to do that, you’d need to add a second action to the Zap (one action to send the information to ChatGPT and one to send it on to another app), which isn’t possible on the free plan. 

Does that answer the questions that you had/explain the trouble you’re having with the Zap? If not, please let us know and we’ll keep working with you on it 😊

Hi @Danvers .

Thanks for your time.

Actually it sounds not a practical Google home assistant integration at all.

Actually I need to check around other alternatives like tasker to step further.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for letting us know @Zludany! So sorry to hear it’s not going to be a practical workflow for Google Assistant. If you do manage to get an alternative workflow set up for this using Tasker or another app please do let us know. We’d would love to hear more about how you end up solving this! 🙂