Best answer

Filter doesn't stop flow when it returns a False result. Why?

• 16 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I have an Action setup with a “Lookup Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets”

I also have “Should this step be considered a "success" when nothing is found?” set as “No”  but keeps going with the next step anyway.  

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 16 December 2022, 16:27

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Petrugals 

Hmm, that doesn’t sound right, could you share an example from your Zap history of when this has happened? Specifically if we can see the data in and data out for the Google Sheets step, that would be super helpful. Don’t forget to remove or obscure any personal or private information in any screenshot you share in the community (eg full name, email address, etc).

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Petrugals 

Good question.

Try this.

Set that GSheet step field condition to Yes, then add a Filter as the next step to check the conditions you want.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Petrugals 

Zapier independently evaluates each step when the zap runs so only steps dependent on the search step results will get stopped (steps that have data from the output of the search step). So as an example if i have a zap with 5 steps like so: 

Trigger
Action 1 (Search Step)
Action 2 (not dependent on results from step 2.. ie. nothing from step 2 is mapped)
Action 3 (dependent on results from step 2.. ie. something from step 2 is mapped)
Action 4 (not dependent on results from step 2.. ie. nothing from step 2 is mapped)

Then when my search step throws a halted error only Action 3 would be skipped since Action 2 and Action 4 don’t use any output data from the search step. 

I hope that helps! 

if you want the entire zap to stop after the search step, you will need to either use a filter and stop when the Zap Data Was Found field is false or make sure every step after the search step uses at least 1 output field from the search step. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks everyone.  I believe I have it working correctly now.  I changed the GSheet step field condition to Yes, then add a Filter as the next step to check the conditions before continuing.