Best answer

Failed to create a send channel message in Slack Error from Slack: invalid_thread_ts

Hi Zapier,

Context: I have a working Zap that posts a Slack channel message upon an incoming Gmail matching certain keywords.

GOAL: I now want to post a thread message with Gmail Body Plain from each incoming email.

PROBLEM: I receive the following error when adding a thread message:

Failed to create a send channel message in Slack

Error from Slack: invalid_thread_ts

Do I need to create additional steps here? Thanks for any help. :)

icon

Best answer by ken.a 20 June 2023, 08:35

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @EU-work-account 

Good question.

We’ll need more context (screenshots) about how your Zap steps are configured.

Hi @Troy Tessalone ,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I’ve attached the following screenshots. Let me know if that helps.

I’ve erased some potentially identifiable details

If I add a Body Plain to Thread, I get the following error:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@EU-work-account 

Check the field description. (click “more”)

You need to map the thread timestamp of the parent message.

@EU-work-account

Check the field description. (click “more”)

You need to map the thread timestamp of the parent message.

Yes, however, the custom search doesn’t display the Slack TS option. 

I might be missing something but the link provided (after clicking on more) doesn’t actually explain how to do it either? Referencing: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496257774221#3-set-up-your-action-0-2

Sorry if this all sounds too basic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@EU-work-account 

You can only use the Thread field if you know the Slack parent message thread timestamp.

You would need to add another step to the Zap. (step 3)

Then you can map the thread timestamp from Step 2.

@EU-work-account

You can only use the Thread field if you know the Slack parent message thread timestamp.

You would need to add another step to the Zap. (step 3)

Then you can map the thread timestamp from Step 2.

Thank you for trying to be helpful. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @EU-work-account,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

It looks like Troy is correct here. You would need to add a “Find Message” step and map the thread ID from that step to the “Thread” field in the “Send Channel Message” step if you want to send a message to an existing thread.

Have you tried this out? If so, please let us know if you’re still running into an issue.

Thanks! 😊

Hi @EU-work-account,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

It looks like Troy is correct here. You would need to add a “Find Message” step and map the thread ID from that step to the “Thread” field in the “Send Channel Message” step if you want to send a message to an existing thread.

Have you tried this out? If so, please let us know if you’re still running into an issue.

Thanks! 😊

Is there a more specific guide that details the step-by-step experience? As someone not super technical, nor a Zapier power user, these general tips are, unfortunately, not very helpful - as they miss out crucial parts of what values I should enter where etc. 

Thanks for reaching out, however!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @EU-work-account,

I’m so sorry about that. No worries, I’m here to guide you and provide a step by step guide on this one.

1. Kindly click on “Or add search step” next to the “Thread” field for the “Find Message” action to get added.
    e2de3b7215295fd7dd9f22ca00d84209.png
    (view larger)

2. After that, kindly map the respective fields on the “Find Message” step.
    08e1680a85be92c0d799372de7d27e69.png
    (view larger)

3. Then, after you finished setting up the “Find Message” step. You will need to go back to your “Send Channel Message” step.
  4. In the “Send Channel Message” step, map the “Ts” data as a custom value to the “Thread” field.
    e897b63d735fc347095caa88a660cdc3.png
    (view larger)

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Hi @EU-work-account,

I’m so sorry about that. No worries, I’m here to guide you and provide a step by step guide on this one.

1. Kindly click on “Or add search step” next to the “Thread” field for the “Find Message” action to get added.
    e2de3b7215295fd7dd9f22ca00d84209.png
    (view larger)

2. After that, kindly map the respective fields on the “Find Message” step.
    08e1680a85be92c0d799372de7d27e69.png
    (view larger)

3. Then, after you finished setting up the “Find Message” step. You will need to go back to your “Send Channel Message” step.
  4. In the “Send Channel Message” step, map the “Ts” data as a custom value to the “Thread” field.
    e897b63d735fc347095caa88a660cdc3.png
    (view larger)

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

THANK YOU! This solved it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Awesome! Way to hang in there, @EU-work-account. So glad you and Ken were able to get this sorted! 🎉