Skip to main content
Hey! I'm trying to use custom template in WhatsApp notification trigger and it's not working. Are only standard templates available for use? Why can the custom option be selected if this feature is not yet available?

Hi @Gabriel Barros

Help: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/19805639844621-Send-messages-in-Zaps-using-WhatsApp

You can use WhatsApp Notifications in your Zaps to send yourself WhatsApp messages to your WhatsApp account. 

Messages are limited to prefilled templates for:

• New Lead
  • New Message 
  • Payment Confirmation
  • New Order
  • Shipping Confirmation
  • Calendar Reminder

I’m having the same problem.
Selecting a Custom template end in an error:

@alexilyaev 

WhatsApp Notifications help to reference for possible guidance: https://zapier.com/apps/whatsapp-notifications/help

@alexilyaev

WhatsApp Notifications help to reference for possible guidance: https://zapier.com/apps/whatsapp-notifications/help

I’m not sure what you expect me to do in that page.

Clicking the Help button doesn’t do anything and pops an error in the DevTools console. Something about Content Security Policy.

Otherwise the other link “Send messages in Zaps using WhatsApp“ leads to an article which does not even mention the Custom option.

@alexilyaev 

Help: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/19805639844621-Send-messages-in-Zaps-using-WhatsApp

You can use WhatsApp Notifications in your Zaps to send yourself WhatsApp messages to your WhatsApp account. 

• New Lead
  • New Message 
  • Payment Confirmation
  • New Order
  • Shipping Confirmation
  • Calendar Reminder

Hi Troy,
Thank for the support.
I assume your intentions are good, but you’re ignoring the matter at hand.

The Templates work great! But the Custom template doesn’t work.
This is a bug, and needs to be fixed.
I would expect Zapier customer support to at least acknowledge it and not pretend like there’s no problem.
After that I’d expect to pass on the information to the developers of the integration.

Thanks

@alexilyaev 

Per the help article, these are the only templates that can be used.

In other words, you can’t use the ‘CUSTOM’ tab.

• New Lead
  • New Message 
  • Payment Confirmation
  • New Order
  • Shipping Confirmation
  • Calendar Reminder

Ridiculous! I just wasted an hour debugging on what may have gone wrong.

Why can’t Zapier just disable or put a Premium tag on Custom so that users stop banging their heads? This thread is over 6 months old and I can’t image the skull count.

Ditching Zapier

Hey folks 👋

I just came across this thread and wanted to apologise for any confusion or frustration caused by that Custom value option still being available for the Template field. It’s still present to provide a way of being able to dynamically select one of the available template options from the Template field’s dropdown menu.

I’d also like to confirm that, as Troy mentioned earlier, it’s not currently possible to use custom templates at this time. The WhatsApp Notifications app is currently limited to the use of the following prefilled templates:

• New Lead
  • New Message 
  • Payment Confirmation
  • New Order
  • Shipping Confirmation
  • Calendar Reminder

There’s an existing feature request for the ability to create custom templates which could then be used for the message that is sent. So I’ve gone ahead and added votes to that on behalf of everyone here. While I can’t make any promises around when it might become possible to use custom templates, we’ll definitely notify you all via email once it is. I’m sorry to not have a more immediate solution or workaround to suggest at this time.

I spotted that there’s an existing thread in Community discussing that’s already linked to that feature request here:

As that’s already tracking interest in that feature request I’ll be closing this one out so that it’s easier to keep track of progress in a single place. 

For anyone that comes across this and wants their vote added please reach out on the main topic here, and we’ll be happy to add your vote! 🙂