Question

Emails not marked as "read" after replying, causing multiple replies.

• 19 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi guys,

I’ve been playing around with Zapier Central for my new AI controlled emailbox, but stumbling across some issues.

After receiving an email, is has to be qualified before actually doing the right task. There is the first issue. Actually labelling the emails does not happen within Gmail.

second issue. Whenever I manually label the email, my bot gets to work crafting a reply. With success. But because of the email not being marked as ‘read’, it sends out 5,6,7 reply’s untill I stop the actual action. 

Is there a way to mark emails as read, after actually replying to them.

Currently doing it within Zapier Central btw. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @Botboost, welcome to the Community! 😁

After receiving an email, is has to be qualified before actually doing the right task. There is the first issue. Actually labelling the emails does not happen within Gmail.

Is the issue that the “Add Label to Email” (Gmail) behavior action that you’ve set up in Central isn’t labelling the email?

If yes, can you share a screenshot of the set up of that behavior action so we can take a closer look to set if there’s any issues with the selected fields that might be preventing it from running as expected. Please remove/hide any private information (like names, emails, addresses etc.) from any screenshots before sharing.

second issue. Whenever I manually label the email, my bot gets to work crafting a reply. With success. But because of the email not being marked as ‘read’, it sends out 5,6,7 reply’s untill I stop the actual action. 

Is there a way to mark emails as read, after actually replying to them.

Hmm, the Gmail app on Zapier doesn’t appear to have any actions that are able update an email to mark it as read so it doesn’t look like that would be possible with Central right now. I’d recommend getting in touch with our Support team to put in a feature request for the Gmail app for the ability to be able to update an existing email to mark it as ‘read’. You can do that using the contact form here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Instead of marking it as read, perhaps a different label could be added after the email is replied to. Then in the instructions for the bot you could tell it to not trigger for emails that have the second label. Do you think that approach could work?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi @SamB ,

Thanks for your reply to my post.

I tried finding a workaround for marking as read, by either removing or updating the current labels on the email. So, it would reply > then update label so it won’t reply again. 

Since I’ve been running into these labelling fails too, it seems impossible to get that done right now. Fixing this labelling tho, will get me able to use that workaround for now. The labelling is set up like this for now:

It’s supposed to label it one of three ways, after reading through the content in the mail. I’ve gone as far as instructing even the label_id’s. I have left out the email connection steps in the ‘action’, due to privacy reasons. Those are set-up correctly tho. 

New e-mail labelling

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for sending over that helpful screenshot @Botboost

Hmm, the selected fields look correct. I wonder if the inclusion of the brackets in the instructions is making it a little unclear for the bot to determine which label to use. I find being as explicit as possible with the instructions often helps to prevent it from misinterpreting the instructions.

Could you try providing the instructions more like the following example:
3. Algemene vragen: voeg voor alle algemene en andere vragen gericht aan Botboost het label "Algemene vragen" toe (label id = Label_2707343279626247282)

Please note, I used Google Translate to translate the instructions from English so there may be some spelling/grammar mistakes. English version: 3. General questions: for all general and other questions addressed to Botboost add the "General questions" label (label id = Label_2707343279626247282)

Can you give that a try and let me know whether that helps to get the bot applying the correct label for the emails?