Question

Creating an Envelope from TemplateS in Docusign but Template Fields are Skipped

• 26 April 2024
  • 5 replies

I’ve successfully used a zap to create an envelope in Docusign using 3 templates, all of which have required & optional fields for a recipient to sign. My zap sends the Docusign recipient’s name and email address, but I want to send NO other data. 
The envelope is created successfully in Docusign with all 3 documents, but the signer can only sign fields on the LAST document (all the data fields from my first 2 templates are gone). I’ve reordered the templates, and it always just skips to the final document. I’ve confirmed if I create the envelope with 3 templates manually in Docusign, it works fine. It’s only when I create the envelope using a zap.
I think it has something to do with the data fields in my zap. It pulls them in to my Action step, but I want them to be ignored so the signer can fill them in as required.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @CCabral,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Just to confirm, let me clarify the problem you're facing. Are you encountering problems with the selected templates in the "Templates ID" field? For instance, if you select three templates, are you only able to view the fields of the "Officer Contract" template in the action step, while the other selected templates fail to load their respective fields?

I hope I've understood your issue correctly.  Please feel free to let me know if you have any additional information to share. I'll be keeping an eye out for your response and will be happy to assist you

Hi and thanks! It’s that the fields for the first two selected templates fail to load-- specifically in Docusign. I don’t need them to load in the Action step, because I don’t want to do anything with them. I want the fields to remain as-is and available for the recipient to sign after they’ve received the envelope in Docusign.

@ken.a ^^ :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @CCabral,

I’m really sorry for the delayed response.

It looks like you’ve reached out to our Support Team about this and they replied today with a suggestion. I’ll share details of the suggestion here in case it’s helpful:

Based on what you've described and the link you've shared, it seems like all the required fields have been set up correctly in your Zap.

To get your Zap working, please follow these steps:

1. Click on 'Publish' in the upper right-hand corner of your Zap editor. This will turn your Zap on.
  2. Once your Zap is turned on, it should start automating your workflow as expected.

As for your trial period, I've extended it for 2 more weeks, so you'll have ample time to test this out and see if it works for you.

Please reach out again if you have further questions, I'll be happy to assist you.

All the best,

If you’ve got any questions regarding their suggestion it would be best to continue the conversation with them over email. If you can’t locate their reply I’d recommend searching your spam/junk folder or searching your inbox for any emails from zapier.com in case. Sometimes their emails can end up in the spam/junk folder by accident.

@ken.a 

Yes, I posted this to see if I could get help because it took them so long to answer me. And their answer is unhelpful. If it’s not working in “draft” form, why would it work in Production. This is extremely frustrating; publishing the zap made no difference...the issue is still occurring. 

Yes, the fields "look" correct in my zap, but when the Envelope is created in Docusign, the fields are NOT available to be signed. 

I have confirmed that if I do the process with a single document, it works. If I reorder the templates in my "Action" step, it's always the first two templates' fields that are skipped, so I know it's not an issue with any templates in Docusign. And if I create the envelope manually in Docusign with ALL three templates, it also works fine.

Is there an example zap you can give me that DOES work by creating an envelope with more than 1 template in Docusign?

I’m continuing to post here in case anyone else can help me.