Best answer

Updating a Hubspot Contact without Clearing Previous Properties

• 13 June 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I am attempting to add a value to a multi-select contact property type without clearing the previous data.
Does anyone have any tricks for this?

The multi-select value options are dates formatted like, “May 20, 2020” 

So I want to be able to add another date without removing the other values that are selected for already.

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 2 July 2020, 20:52

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @JakeatGrantMe!I helped someone with something similar yesterday. In your case, however, you mention that it’s a multi-select contact property type. 

Can you confirm which of these types that field is:

I want to make sure I’m testing the right thing. Also, having dates as multi-select items is not what I’m used to seeing, so I’d like to confirm this with you. Can you check in HubSpot to see?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @nicksimard !

Thank you for taking time to look at this with me!

It’s the “Multiple Checkboxes” type!

And I am adding the date manually as one of the multiple checkbox options!
I need to use this because the contact that I have in HubSpot would possible have more than one date associated with this property type! I hope that makes sense! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @JakeatGrantMe, I’m sorry that we weren’t able to find an answer on this - were you able to find a solution?

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Danvers  Thank you for checking in. I was not able to find a solution for this!

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Danvers This has circled back to the top of my priority list. :grin:
Would you recommend I file a ticket with support for this if I need some forward motion on this problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @JakeatGrantMe! Yes, I think that the Support Team will be the best bet on this one as they will be able to take a closer look at the information coming into your Zap. The best thing to do here is to use the Get Help form as that will allow you to let the team know which Zap you’re having an issue with. 

If you’re able to find a solution, it would be great if you could let us know 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @JakeatGrantMe!

Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth, there! I actually figured this one out just now.

What you’ll do is search for the contact, specifying that you want to retrieve that multi-select field (and whatever else you want to update):

Then you add an Update Contact step, use the Custom option instead of choosing specific field options. You map the fields that you found in your search step, then add the other options you want to select (adding a semi-colon between each option):

Would you be appending only a single other option to the ones that exist for the contact? If so, you’d type the semi-colon and map the field that contains what you want to add. If there are multiple to add, we’ll have to do a bit more work (haven’t tackled that yet).

The value you’ll add in the Zap (I believe) is the one under Internal Value:

Hopefully that helps you out!

Userlevel 3
Badge

@nicksimard Wow! Major breakthrough. Thank you! This works well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Awesome, @JakeatGrantMe!

Glad to hear that you were able to get this working :) This kind of trick can be used with other apps as well.