Best answer

Tagging contact using information from Mailchimp field

• 15 February 2022
  • 3 replies

I have a sign up form which asks the user firstname, lastname, email, and to specify which branch is best suited to handle their request (i.e which one are they closest to).

I’ve created a Zap which sends this contact straight to Mailchimp, adds them to my audience, and tags them with one tag which I want all sign-ups to have (‘Candidate’)

I’m also taking their answer to the question “Which Branch?” and mapping it to a new Merge Field called Branch (this was preferrable to using the existing address field for ‘City’ because once you populate one field in Mailchimp’s standard Address block, you have to populate all of them, and that’s a pain)

From here there are two things I want to achieve, ideally without building a new Zap for every branch:

1. I want to take the content of the Merge field “Branch”, which should be known in Mailchimp, and use it to add a tag for that contact corresponding to that branch. In most cases the Branch and the Tag text exactly match. However, see below.
  2. In the form there are multiple options for Branches in the city of Auckland, (Auckland Northshore, Auckland City, and Auckland). This is a legacy requirement as this form submits into our CRM. So I also want to tag any contacts with Branch contains ‘Auckland’ with a tag simply called ‘Auckland’ - because we don’t need 3 mailing lists for signups from within Auckland.

So I’m hoping it’s possible to use ‘Update contact’ or ‘Add tag to contact’, however, I haven’t found a way to add a tag in Mailchimp based on the value in my new merge field ‘Branch’. That’s step 1, step 2 is to add if/then instructions for ‘If Branch contains Auckland - add tag ‘Auckland’.

Anybody able to point me in the right direction here please?!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 16 February 2022, 00:03

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @joetherg 

Try using Lookup Tables in the Zap for the Branches: https://zapier.com/help/create/format/create-lookup-tables-in-zaps

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@joetherg 

Also, check out Mailchimp Customer Journey’s that you may be able to use to Tag Subscribers: https://mailchimp.com/help/create-customer-journey/

Thanks Troy! I wasn’t aware of the customer journey function in Mailchimp. That’s going to get it done for me without mind-boggling Zap conditions!