Question

Square New Order Trigger Invoice Number

Userlevel 1

Hey all,

I am wondering why there isn't an option to have Invoice Number as a field for the Trigger New Orders > Completed ?

The Trigger New Orders > Completed has all the Fields I need besides the Invoice Number

The Trigger New Invoice is able to pull the Invoice Number. But it isn't able to get all the detailed line items that I need. Like Line Item Gross Sales, Line Item Category, and Line Item Discounts.

I also tried to set up two Zaps. Zap 1 with the New Orders > Completed and Zap 2 with New Invoice and try to match these together with their Order ID. But Order ID only shows on Completed Invoices and this Zap only triggers when it's a New Order. 

Are there any alternatives to this?

Below is the exact setup in Google Sheets on how I want my data to Zap 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @goulas12, welcome to the community!

I expect that the New Order > Completed  trigger doesn’t include the invoice ID because you may not need an invoice ID to complete an order. On your end of things, is the invoice created at the same time as the order? Or before/after? I’m asking because there may be a way around this, but it depends on the order of things in Square. It would be really helpful to know the exact order of events as they happen in Square, are you able to share that with us?

One thing to mention is that there isn’t a Find Invoice action for the Square integration, but you could create an action that does that using the Set up an API request action. That’s a little more complicated, but we can get into it if it’s something that would work for you, in the mean time, you can read more about it in this help guide.

​I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1

Hey @Danvers ,

We create an Invoice and save it as a draft first. We try to keep it as a draft until we actually finish the service which can take from a day to 2 weeks. A New Invoice zap can be triggered from this.

When it is time for payment we will go to the Invoice and add a payment. This triggers a New Order > Completed on zap. On Square when you go to transactions, I can see that the order is linked to an Invoice Number and the invoice is marked paid. ( Note: We also do Net 30 Days for some customers)

It seems like it would be possible for Zap to have an Event for New Invoice > Open or Completed and have the detailed line items of that invoice. 

Thanks for the reply Danvers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hmm, this is a tricky one!

I can’t think of way of adding the Invoice ID to an Order or vice versa at the trigger stage, so I”m wondering if there’s a third option. For example, are there fields that the invoice and order have in common? If so, you could set up a Zap that adds the information from a new invoice into Google Sheets. Then a second Zap triggers from new, completed orders and searches the sheet for an invoice that matches the detail of the order. When a row is found, you can then use Update Spreadsheet Row to add the necessary information. Do you think that could work?

Alternatively, If could you add a custom field to the Order that would tie it to the Invoice ID? From what I can see it looks like custom fields are included in the Square New Order trigger, but you’ll want to give that a test to make sure. The simplest example would be to add a custom field called ‘Invoice ID’ and add that to orders and fill that in manually when the order is first created.

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1

@Danvers ,

The Invoice and Order do have a field in common when paid it is Order ID for New Invoice and ID for New Order. 

Setting up a new New Invoice zap; on the test, there are Invoices that have Order ID that I can match to the New Order > Completed zaps ID. 

But Order ID will never be zap’d when published because it's just for New Invoices and not for ones that have been paid. I hope that makes sense. 

Below example both Order ID and ID match. Starting with HWY...

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @goulas12,

I hope you're doing well!

It seems like the issue you're facing requires more detailed troubleshooting with our Support team. To resolve this matter and determine why it's happening, I suggest opening a ticket with our Support team. They'll be able to take a closer look at the Zap and its logs to get to the root of the issue.

Furthermore, you can share a link to this Community post with our Support team so that they can see the steps you've already taken to troubleshoot the issue.

You can find our Support team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help