Best answer

SMS works fine in test, but does not trigger when Zap is on

• 5 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a Zap consisting of a webhook from Airtable that the great @Troy Tessalone  helped me figure out.  Eternal thanks for that one!

Now I have a new issue.  I pull data from Airtable via the webook and send a message containing that data via my text provider, JustCall.

When I test the zap, everything works fine.  When I turn the Zap on, the text never sends.  I’ve been waiting about 3 days now for that text, so I’m certain it’s not a polling problem.

When using zap instead of webhook, I’ll get one with a 15 minute-1 hour delay, so I get polling there.  But the webhook should at least send something, right?

Any thoughts?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 5 August 2021, 03:38

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

HI @JoFo 

Check your Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/app/history/

1. Is the Zap ON?
  2. Did the Zap trigger?
  3. Were there errors on a step?

Can you post screenshots of your Zap steps?

Can you post screenshots of your Airtable Automation steps?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @Troy Tessalone  for stepping in again.  The Zap is on.  The Zap will not trigger.  I just tried again.  There were errors back when I was getting the “undefined” error for not naming my variables in Airtable.  Since then, nothing triggers at all.

Here are some shots of Airtable then Zapier.  As you can see, Airtable runs the automation, but Zap doesn’t see it.  The errors were from days ago before fixing airtable.   Today’s attempt doesn’t show at all.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here are two more screen shots.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JoFo

TIP: Make sure to include a Timestamp as a query string parameter on the webhook sent from Airtable.

let Timestamp = new Date();

Zaps have some deduplication in place, so passing a timestamp ensures the deduplication won’t prevent the Zap from triggering.

Also, make sure you have the correct webhook placed in the Airtable Automation Script step.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone  You’re a genius.  I’ll delete screen shots now, but that was 100% it.

Now I have a new problem on the Airtable side.  Where I was getting all 5 variables sent, now my quote calculation that provides the cost is sending as $0.

I’ll try different line places of the Timestamp.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JoFo 

Another workaround is to send only the Record ID and a Timestamp, then in the Zap use an Airtable Find Record step (find based on ID) to get the data points to map.

NOTE: You may need to add a Formula field to the Table with a formula of: Record_ID()

Userlevel 1
Badge

That worked!!  I got the instant text.

For those seeing this later:

Catch Hook on Zapier webhooks with RecordID and Timestamp codes only.
Then Find Record based on RecordID

Then send text with your SMS client.