Best answer

How do I automatically sync PDFs from new Slack channels to corresponding Google Drive folders?

Hello all, I have a zap going from my slack channel to a specific folder in Google Drive, the file goes from a PDF in Slack, to a .txt in the folder. Seems no matter what i choose in the sector i always get a .txt

Also, i have a zap that starts a folder in Google Drive when a new channel is opened (works fine), is there a way to automatically have a zap (in sequence) to bring all PDF’s from that channel into that folder, without having to go back in and set up the zap described above?

Thank you!!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 29 March 2024, 01:12

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @KJD 

Help article about sending files in Zaps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288813453

You need to map a file url or a file object, rather than the file type.

@Troy Tessalone 
Thank you for the quick response Troy.

Am i looking for one of perm links, private URLs? Theres a few links that end with.pdf but when tested they cant be opened as the file format is “not supported”. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@KJD 

Post screenshots showing which Zap trigger you are using to give us full context.

@Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@KJD 

Try one of these variables:

@Troy Tessalone That worked exactly as intended. I thank you very, very much. 

Now, i have a zap that creates a folder per new slack channel in Google Drive - it works great.

How do i get an automation to plug in the workflow you just helped me fix.

New slack channel > zap to create folder in Google drive > zap to add documents to newly created folder.

When i try to add it in sequence on the zap that creates the folder, theres no option to add an additional step that adds files. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@KJD 

You would need separate Zaps since those are separate triggers. (New Slack Channel vs New File)

You may need to add a Zap step (GDrive - Find Folder) to know which GDrive Folder to upload a Slack File to.

Here is where i get stuck:

It’s asking me to select a folder that i have yet to create because the zap creates it in real time. 

1. New channel > create google drive folder (checked box) > upload to files to GDrive (step 3 select folder (that haven't been created yet).

The same happens if i try to make a separate zap entirely, i don't have a file folder to identity and select for the new slack channel. (since it's not created or cant identify via find folder)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@KJD 

This Slack Zap trigger won’t return files, so those steps don’t make logical sense.

This Zap trigger will return files: Slack - New File

Instead, try these Zap and steps…

Zap 1

1. Trigger: Slack - New Channel
  2. Action: GDrive - Create Folder

Zap 2

1. Trigger: Slack - New File
  2. Action: GDrive - Find Folder
    1. Search by the Folder Name you used to create the Folder in Zap 1, Step 2
  3. Action: GDrive - Upload File

Zap 1, no problem

Zap 2:

Required folder name bring up the Slack contents, not GD folder selections. 

My flow looks like Slack Channel > Parent Folder (Test-for-automation) > Folder-end. 

When putting in search or anything from the field selection, test fails. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@KJD 

From Zap 1, what is the logic for creating the GDrive Folder Name from the Slack New Channel?

Post screenshots with how your steps are outlined and configured for Zap 1.

@Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@KJD 

Your last comment was only a @mention with no added context for these:

From Zap 1, what is the logic for creating the GDrive Folder Name from the Slack New Channel?

Post screenshots with how your steps are outlined and configured for Zap 1.