Best answer

Only trigger Zap when all necessary columns in Google Sheets row are filled?

• 21 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

We have a Google Sheet where a new row is added for each new project and key milestone dates are entered in columns along that row.

Currently, as soon as the first column “project name” is filled in on the Google Sheet the zap runs, missing the other key data.

Currently, I’m delaying the Zap for a couple of days and then only running if all the other columns have a number greater than 0.

I need the zap to run as soon as all the necessary columns on a row have been filled in with a date. 

Basically, I need a command that says, “Once columns B-E have a number greater than 0, run the zap.”

I’ve thought about using “New row or Updated row” and targeting a specific column, however, the columns are not always filled in in a specific order.

icon

Best answer by SamB 21 September 2021, 13:17

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @daveaudio 

Try this…

Add another column that is a formula that detects if all the necessary columns are populated, and return a TRUE/FALSE value to then use in the Filter step of the Zap (see more below).

Use this trigger: GSheets - New/Updated Row

As Step 2, use a Filter.

TIP: You may want to consider using Airtable instead of GSheets: https://zapier.com/apps/airtable/integrations

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just wanted to follow up here to suggest using the New or Updated Spreadsheet Row trigger with a Filter step to check that each column of the row contains a number greater than 0. 

For example, if the spreadsheet had 4 columns you’d select the column from the Google Sheets step and choose the (Number) Greater than rule. Then use the + AND button to add additional conditions for each spreadsheet column to the Filter:
5d5bab6d753476139f48a9b50711abd1.png

That way the Zap would trigger every time a value is added to the row, but it will only continue to run the next actions in the Zap if each column contains a value greater than 0. And with this method, no formula would need to be added to the spreadsheet.

More details on how to use Filter steps can be found here: