Best answer

Loop until response

• 30 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi,

Admittedly pretty new to Zapier but have a number of tasks I’m trying to automate. We spend a lot of time sending specific people reminders, asking them to complete a task (such as a form in Jira, or fill out a spreadsheet in Google Sheets), and then following up when that task is not complete. Several different potential Zaps we’d like to repeat until a person responds or the task is complete. I’m open to options in terms of how this actually looks - 

• Send a message (via slack or email)
    • Asks the person to complete a task and then respond, answer a slack poll, etc. Really open to options here for what will work
  • Sends a reminder again (via slack or email) the next day if reply/task has not been met
  • Repeat as needed

Again, pretty open to adjusting our processes with the main goal of looping until a response of some sort. Curious to know what’s the simplest way to implement something like this!

icon

Best answer by christina.d 12 July 2022, 02:43

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ashlyh 

Good question.

Check out this related topic for how to create a Looping Zap.

You’ll need to add a Delay step.

You’ll need to be able to use a Find step (e.g. Jira Find Issue) to re-check on the status of the desired event you want completed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @ashlyh! Checking in to see how things are going here. Were you able to try the suggestions Troy made? let us know - we’d love to help you work through this and make sure you’re set up for success moving forward. 🙂

Hi! Not quite - curious to know if you have any other suggestions here. I have the initial process set correctly:

• New or Updated Row in Google Sheets
  • Finds user by email in Slack (twice - looks up a new employee’s user and manager’s username by that Google sheet)
  • Sends a direct message in Slack to both users - prompts the manager to complete a ticket in Jira

From here, what I’d like to happen is if the manager doesn’t complete the ticket within 48 hours, sends them a message again. 

I can’t use Jira Find Issue as the next step, as the Jira issue key wouldn’t be created until after the manager completes the task, so I can’t figure out a way to use the Find Issue if I don’t know the information about what I’m finding. The manager may also make any number of Jira issues, so just looking up any issue the manager creates doesn’t work either. Is there anyway to do a delay step, and then trigger again if they didn't reply to the Slack message? Or any other suggestion that might work as a stop/re-test sort of option? I can figure it out if I have a google sheet to be updated as the intermediary check point, but other than that I can’t find a solution.

The follow up when people don’t do a task is a major pain point for us so any way to automate the follow up is super key for us.

Appreciate your expertise!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for sharing all of this context! 🤗

In order for this to work, you’ll likely need 2 Zaps

Zap 1

1. New or Updated Row in Google Sheets
  2. Finds user by email in Slack (twice - looks up a new employee’s user and manager’s username by that Google sheet)
  3. Sends a direct message in Slack to both users - prompts the manager to complete a ticket in Jira
    1. Must include Row ID from Step 1 in the message (the 2nd Zap won’t work without this step)

Zap 2

1. New Reaction Added - Slack (You can decide which reactji to use. Ensure managers are using this to signify when they complete a task)
  2. Formatter - Text Utility to Extract a # (The Row ID referenced from Step 3 of previous zap)
    1. You may have to use a different Formatter Utility if your task name includes a number as it will confuse the Zap)
  3. Look up Row -Google Sheets (Use Row ID extracted from previous step)
  4. Update Row - Google Sheets (You can choose how to update this row to signify task is complete)

Keep us posted how this works for you!