Best answer

Invite Google Calendar event attendees to a Slack channel

• 10 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to invite all the attendees of a specific recurring Google calendar event to a private Slack channel at a certain day/time every fortnight?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 17 November 2020, 17:24

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @zippy 

Unfortunately, it’s not possible with Zapier. Would you like me to get someone from the team to add your vote for that as a feature request?

Userlevel 1

Hi Andrew, yes that’d be great.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @zippy! Could I ask a couple of questions to make sure that I’ve understood what you’re looking to do?

First of all, can I double-check that you mean a private channel (a channel that only certain people are invited to) and not a direct message with a group of people?

Secondly, you mentioned that you wanted to invite the invitees of the event to the channel at a certain time/day every fortnight. Does that mean that you want to uninvite them at the end of the meeting? Or is it a new private channel every 2 weeks?

Userlevel 1

Hi @Danvers , yep it’s a private channel.

I would like to keep the invitees in the channel for at least a week, and then invite the guests of the next instance of the event to the channel in 2 weeks time. Ideally, it’d be great if we could also remove the old invitees before adding the new ones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for the extra info @zippy :slight_smile:

If the invitees are already in your Slack instance then you can use the Slack action Invite User To Channel to invite them to any channel, including private ones. If they’re not currently in your Slack instance then it’s not currently possible to invite them, but we do have a feature request to add that action to the Zapier Slack integration. 

To invite users ahead of a meeting, use the Event Start trigger and use the Search term field to find the events that you want to trigger the Zap. In the trigger settings, you can set the Zap to trigger a certain amount of time before the event (eg trigger the Zap 2 days before the event starts). 

It’s not currently possible to remove someone from a channel, sorry about that. Again we do have a feature request for that and I’ve added you as an interested user on that. This lets the team know that you’re interested in that feature and means that we’ll send you an email when we have an update on it.