Best answer

Instragram to Discord don't show thumbnail

• 15 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I tried to connect instagram to discord.

It’s almost worked fine, but thumbnail didn’t show although I set thumbnail url.

What should I do to show the thumbnail?

It’s my zapier setting.

icon

Best answer by SamB 15 May 2023, 15:50

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @judy97, welcome to the Community! 🙂

Looking at the screenshot it seems that there was no thumbnail image present in that Thumbnail Url field:
9bd02b40ad10c6470bbd4f09af18ec91.png

It could be that the selected sample from Instagram didn’t have a thumbnail set for the image.

Can you try selecting a different test sample on the Instagram trigger in the Zap? See our Change the test data in your Zap trigger guide for details on how to do that. I’m hoping that will then allow you to select a sample from Instagram that contains a thumbnail image that you can send over to Discord. 

Please do give that a try and let us know whether that sorts it. Eager to hear how that goes!

Userlevel 1

Thank you, @SamB.

I didn't realize that the thumbnail wasn't showing because there was no thumbnail URL.
During testing, the Instagram embed was generating properly, so I mistakenly thought that the thumbnail URL was working fine. However, upon checking, I noticed that other test data also didn't have a thumbnail URL.🥺

Thank you so much for SamB's helpful response.

Can I ask one more question? The Instagram embed was generating properly during testing, but after publishing, it doesn't generate at all. There's no issue with the Instagram URL.

Is this an issue that needs to be checked on the Discord side?
Thank you once again for your response, and have a great day!😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @judy97,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

With regards to embeds, a workaround to get this working is to use a Custom Request (Webhooks) POST action step and use the following code as an example:

{
"content": "This is a required field",
"embed": {
"title": "Title",
"description": "Description"
}
}

Here's a full documentation for embeds as well as a handy visualizer for you to see what the embed will look like:

https://discordapp.com/developers/docs/resources/channel#embed-object

https://leovoel.github.io/embed-visualizer/

Please try this one out and let me know if it works

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your response, @ken.a 
By the way, are you referring to the Custom Request (Webhooks) feature as a paid feature of Zapier? If that's the case, I'm currently using the free plan and cannot access the Custom Request feature.🥺 If you have any other solutions or alternatives, I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know.
Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @judy97,

Thanks for letting us know and we understand your situation.

Have you tried mapping the “Media URL” to the “Message Text” field to see if it’ll show it as an embed?

Please keep us posted! 😊

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your continued feedback, @ken.a.
As you said, mapping the media URL to the message text creates a thumbnail! However, the Instagram embed, as shown in the attached image, is not being generated... I'm soooo sad. If the issue with embed generation persists, I would like to simply display the image without the embed. Is there a way to include the media URL while keeping the URL hidden from the users and only displaying the image?
Thank you for your time and help.🥺

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @judy97,

If you want to hide or hyperlink the URL of the image. I tested this on my end and I’m not entirely sure if this is how you want to format this, but here’s how I did it.

You would want to format the message in the “Message Text” field this way [My Image](). Here’s what it’ll look like in the Zap:

0ed843b48c318500ba8130895e7becfa.png
(view larger)

dff7b144f11a5b8bcb8b9583c435464f.png
(view larger)

Here’s what it’ll look like in Discord:

9aad60b5a64c7114266342ff4e0a68b2.png
(view larger)

Hopefully, this helps! 😊