Question

How to make action step failing to run cause all other steps to stop

• 11 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

We have a lot of different zaps where leads come in from an IDX and is sent to the clients CRM. We also frequently send the info, or at least increment a counter, to twilio sms notifications, a google sheet tracker, and databox. The issue is that when our step that sends the lead info to the CRM fails, the other steps still run. I want them to stop too if the first step fails because it typically means the lead already exists and I don’t want to double count them. So, how can we make the zap stop all action steps if the first action step fails? Thanks!

See here for example: Hubspot stopped because Contact already exists. So how can we make the next 3 steps stop too if that happens?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @speculo 

Good question.

Add a Filter step: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks for the response. I thought about that but what would the filter condition be? There is no way to pull info from the CRM and see if that contact already exists before continuing the run.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@speculo 

Actually change the Step 2 to be this Zap action: HubSpot - Find Contact

Make sure to check the checkbox to Create Contact if not found.

So the step becomes a Find/Create Contact, meaning there will always be a Contact found or created.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you @Troy Tessalone 

That seems to be a good solution for Hubspot. However, most of our clients use KW Command, Brivity and Follow Up Boss and I believe those do not have a similar feature. What do you suggest for these? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@speculo 

Depends on each app and what actions are available.

You may have to use Paths

Find Contact

Path A: Create Contact

Path B: Update Contact

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

I thought I found a solution using zapier tables and filter. My first step would be to find or create email/phone in the table. My next step would be to filter and only continue if there was no email/phone matching in the table. However, I have run into an issue with the Tables function. The email column works great, but the phone column is having issues. It sends the test phone number through as 0. Is this a bug in the system or something I am doing wrong? I tried making the data type text, number, and phone number but none of these options seemed to resolve it. Any suggestions?

This is the data I am searching the table against and creating a new row if none match.
As you can see, f1, which should be the phone number, is now 0
Here is the table. I manually input the first row that is why the number is not 0

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@speculo 

If you think it’s a bug, then you can submit a ticket here: https://eap.zapier.app