Question

How to limit Discord Zap runs per user to prevent duplicate DMs?

• 28 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi, I want to know if there are any ways I can limit the number of zaps that will be running per user.

I’ve set Trigger: Discord (New Message Posted to Channel in Discord) → Find User in Discord → Action: Discord (Send Direct Message in Discord)

I want to only send the action message once to the people who trigger zap. 

As you know, people tend to post the message a number of times on discord - and I want to only send the message once no matter how many posts they make on the channel.

Can I limit this?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @tero431 

Good question.

You would need to use a lookup table to log and check against to determine if the user has already been sent a message.

@Troy Tessalone Thank you for the guide!
I am still struggling to use Lookup Table to apply in this occasion - could you kindly guide the way of setting this up? or is there any guide to this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tero431 

It would be Find/Create followed by a Filter step.

@Troy Tessalone Thanks for the advice. I tried Find/Create → Filter but I’m keep facing this error in Find Create section:

Error found at request.path.table_id: Cannot create ULID from string of length 19 Error code 400: Cannot create ULID from string of length 19

Do you by any chance know how can I fix this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @tero431! 👋

Hmm, that error mentions “Error found at request.path.table_id” which may suggest that there may be an issue with the Table ID that’s been selected.

Can you please share a screenshot of the fields and settings that have been selected for the Find/Create action that’s erroring? We’re unable to access your Zaps so a screenshot will greatly help to give us more context as to what is causing the error here. Remember to remove/hide any private information (like names, emails, addresses etc.) from any screenshots before sharing.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tero431 

We would need to see detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured along with the encountered error.