Best answer

How to keep client information confidential in Google Calendar events?

• 31 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi guys,

I’ve already read that it’s currently not possible to create a Google Calendar with an invisible Guest List.

That’s a shame, because I couldn’t find any workaround.

Do you have an idea?

It’s circling about guestsCanSeeOtherGuests in here: https://developers.google.com/calendar/api/v3/reference/events

The default is “true”, which is a problem.

Currently it means that I have to create a separate event for each participant to automatize correctly. My calendar will be flooded. It has just basic GDPR-reasons that I want to keep client information confidential.

A custom POST request seems hard, because I need to check every time whether the event is already existent.

A custom PUT request is a waste of resources, because I’d only need to do it once per event, not for each sign up.

Help :)

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 9 August 2023, 16:46

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Scottbro 

Good question.

You’ll probably want to create a new Zap that triggers when a new GCal Event is created.

You’ll have to use the GCal API: https://developers.google.com/calendar/api/v3/reference/events/update

Zap action: GCal - API Request

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Troy Tessalone Thanks for the tip. 

I’ve tried to do that, but the Google API gives me back “Missing end time.” (although that’s not the point.)

It throws the same error even when I only ask for the 2 booleans.

Any idea why’s that?

I assume because you need to write a full PUT request (how tedious...) but the end data should not be the problem.
It’s just weird because you can easily manage these settings within the Google Calendar interface with 2 mouse clicks, but with the API it’s a hustle?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Scottbro 

Try false instead of False.

Try true instead of True.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Did that, same error.

Note that this is a 2-Step Zap. I didn’t put a GET in the middle, but this one right after the New Event trigger.
I don’t know if that matters. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Scottbro 

Have you tried a PATCH instead?

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Yes, I’ve tried it, and it gave me a 200, but it didn’t change the event settings.
It’s still visible to everyone - in the confirmations sent out, as well as inside the event itself. Participants see each other.

I think the PATCH is not working because it only supports a very limited amount of parameters, as you can see here: https://developers.google.com/calendar/api/v3/reference/events/patch

I might be wrong, but I think the ones mentioned there are the only one. Meaning guestsCanSeeOtherGuests is only a thing for entire PUT requests.

Kindly correct me if I’m wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Scottbro 

Those are query parameters.

Make sure to review the Request Body section for how to send the desired data to patch.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

Thanks Troy, that worked.

It seems that I got it wrong with the syntax - the usual. It worked perfectly.
Attached solution.

Thanks,

Alex