Question

How to dynamically create and save files in yearly and monthly G-Drive folders using a Zap?

• 11 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello kind forum users, I wanted to ask whether this monstrosity would work.

I’m trying to send/save quotations and invoices from our software to specific folders in G-drive, I would like for the zap to create the parent folder (year) and then sub folder (month), based on the timestamp of the file creation.

I managed to format the timestamp into YYYY and MM, and I created different paths, based on filename, that contains “quote” or “Invoice”. Then I created a G-drive step,  “find folder action,  create folder if not found” for the year, YYYY.

I Added another G-drive step in a similar way for the month MM, and changed the “parent folder” with the G-drive folder ID of the previous step.

AND final step is to add the file to the MM sub folder, based on MM G-Drive ID.

The question is would G-drive/Zap be able to dynamically change the ID of the secondary or tertiary step based on the previous step? for example, if it is a new month. Will it just explode?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @kitwizard 

When in doubt, test it out!

To help us have context, post screenshots with how the steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode.

Hi Kit, 
This is a very complicated setup but its possible with the right knowledge. 

If you’d like help along the way while you’re setting it up, you can reach out to me at XXXXXXX@XXXXX.XXX

Happy automating

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @kitwizard, welcome to the Community! 

The question is would G-drive/Zap be able to dynamically change the ID of the secondary or tertiary step based on the previous step? for example, if it is a new month. Will it just explode?

As you’ve selected the values from the previous actions this would dynamically change the IDs being referenced. So no, it shouldn’t explode! 😅

The set up you’ve described sounds correct to me. But if you’d like to double-check how it handles other months you could always edit the test data on the trigger to set a different date for the timestamp. See the Modify a trigger test record guide to learn how to do that.

If you run into any trouble on this just let us know and we’ll be happy to assist further! 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @kitwizard 👋 

Just wanted to check in here to see how you’re getting on? Please do let us know if you’re still stuck or have any further questions at all - always happy to help! 

The Boss is a cheap skate this month so I’m waiting until i get premium. Thank you for all of your input!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You’re most welcome @kitwizard. And thanks for the update, hopefully you won’t have to wait too long on getting an upgrade. 🤞

Please do keep us in the loop on how you get on, would love to hear how it goes!