How to deal with limitations in Notion integration on Zapier?

• 9 July 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hey Zapier Community!

I hope you're all doing awesome! Today, I want to chat about something that's been bugging me, and I'd love to get your thoughts on it. It's all about the Notion integration on Zapier—it's pretty handy, but I feel like there are some limitations holding us back from reaching its full potential.

I absolutely love Notion! It's my go-to productivity app, and I know many of you feel the same way. But here's the thing: the current integration with Zapier is a bit too limited for my liking. There are some crucial features missing that could make our lives so much easier. Let me break it down for you:

1. I can't retrieve files and media attachments through the integration. Bummer, right?
2. Accessing formulas within Notion databases isn't possible either.
3. And the big one for me—relations! How are you guys handling relations between different pieces of information? It's a struggle for me, and I'd love to hear your experiences.
4. Rollup properties—can't use 'em. It would be awesome to aggregate data seamlessly.
5. Managing status fields is a bit tricky too. How are you making it work?
6. Accessing those unique identifiers (IDs) assigned to Notion objects is a no-go at the moment.
7. Oh, and handling Drive links associated with Notion content? Not happening.

You know what really gets me? Some other platforms, like Make, have already tackled these limitations and offer enhanced Notion integration options. So, I'm wondering, Zapier community, do you know if Zapier has any plans to step up the Notion integration game? I'd love to get some insight and find out if there's hope on the horizon.

I'm a die-hard Zapier fan—I rely on it for both my personal and professional workflows. It's been a game-changer! But these Notion integration limitations have been holding me back a bit. I've seen others in online forums expressing similar frustrations, especially about those elusive relations. So, I thought it would be great to reach out and see how you all are handling these challenges.

Let's open up the discussion! How are you dealing with the limitations in the Notion integration? Any workarounds or alternative solutions you've discovered? I believe that by sharing our experiences and ideas, we can help each other make the most out of this integration and take our productivity to new heights.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to read my message. I'm super excited to hear your thoughts and learn from your experiences.

Cheers,

Aurora

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @digidockaurora,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! It looks like you’ve contacted our Support team regarding this concern, and it looks like they have added you to the list of feature request for the Notion integration to support:

• Add support for "Files"-type fields in triggers and actions
  • Add support for "Relation"-type fields in triggers and actions
  • Add support for "Rollup"-type fields in triggers and actions
  • Add support for "Formula"-type fields in triggers and actions
  • New Action - Get Database Item - Using their ID
  • Include "status" in the New Database item trigger
  • Add Field : Status in Creating and Updating Database Items

Here’s their latest response:

Sorry to hear about the limitations you ran into here, I took a look and found feature requests we have open for everything you mentioned.  

I've added your votes to all of those. Which does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

I'm afraid I don't have an ETA for when these features might be implemented because prioritization is largely dependent on the number of customers affected. We will reach out to you via email once we have an update!

Member’s feedback like this is a huge part of how we continue to grow our platform. If this feature does get developed, we'll reach out to you directly to let you know!

Hopefully, this helps! 😊