Question

How To create a List of Files Names present in a GoogleDrive and OneDrive Folder?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am looking to create a spreadsheet with the names of the files contained in a storage directory particularly for 

-onedrive

-google drive

Alternatively it could work to have a zap for each new file uploaded that reads the file name and folder and writes it to a spreadsheet column. I thought it was possible but it is not working in both ways.

Has anyone done this? Is there a way to do this?

The “original filename “ field in google drive is always empty when i use the trigger “new file in folder”

Paolo

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Paolon 

The first way isn’t possible - but the second way definitely is.

How far did you get building that zap? Can you show us some screenshots - and talk about any errors you’re getting.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Paolon

How far did you get building that zap? Can you show us some screenshots - and talk about any errors you’re getting.

will it ever be possible?

i am gathering the info 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Paolon

this is the spreadsheet where i want to print file name and date and file extension

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Paolon

this  is the zap:

this is the secon step:

fundamentally there are no data that i am interested in , the file name and the file folder and the file extension 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Paolon 

you will know the folder because it must be specified in the trigger. So in your screenshot, it only triggers on files uploaded into the ‘paolo3’ folder.

I would suggest changing your trigger to “New File” if it should trigger on any new file. But it is difficult to get the Folder name. The only reference to the folder is and id returned in the Parents object. in your example, the file was uploaded in a folder with this id “15RkC4PgWAe_JFK-XkxSqLAKpMEfB_Ad2” but there is currenlty no Zapier action that supports exchaning the id for the folder name. A method could be hacked together by making a get request to the folder share link and parsing the html that is returned or something would need to be built custom. 

The name of the doc uploaded will be the field “Title” that is returned. 
the ‘MimeType’ field will contain the specific type of file that was uploaded. In your example, it was a Google Document

As for 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Paolon 

you will know the folder because it must be specified in the trigger. So in your screenshot, it only triggers on files uploaded into the ‘paolo3’ folder.

I would suggest changing your trigger to “New File” if it should trigger on any new file. But it is difficult to get the Folder name. The only reference to the folder is and id returned in the Parents object. in your example, the file was uploaded in a folder with this id “15RkC4PgWAe_JFK-XkxSqLAKpMEfB_Ad2” but there is currenlty no Zapier action that supports exchaning the id for the folder name. A method could be hacked together by making a get request to the folder share link and parsing the html that is returned or something would need to be built custom. 

The name of the doc uploaded will be the field “Title” that is returned. 
the ‘MimeType’ field will contain the specific type of file that was uploaded. In your example, it was a Google Document

As for 

I set up the zap as suggested but it is not working, title does not return the file name and mime type does not return the file extention for example .doc txt csv  etc..

here is the set up:

here is the output of it :

I'm pretty sure you'll find an app that will generate a txt file list of all the files in a folder. Then your zap becomes about reading that file.  I vaguely remember doing this with a context menu app in windows (right click on a folder, generate list).  Not sure if this level of hands on would work, but stuff like this can be done by batch files that are run on a schedule, and you'd probably only pay $15 on fiverr.com or similar to create the script.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Paolon 

Thank you for the response. 

It looks like the file type is technically an editable google doc (google-apps.document). A look up table could be configured to translate google type files into a preferred .doc or .csv

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Paolon 

Thank you for the response. 

It looks like the file type is technically an editable google doc (google-apps.document). A look up table could be configured to translate google type files into a preferred .doc or .csv

I woud need an example how to do this, right now i cannot visualize it 

Userlevel 2
Badge

hi @Paolon did you still need help building out this workflow? If so, can you let us know how far you’ve gotten so far?