Best answer

How to automatically assign a contact to a deal (within Hubspot)

• 12 January 2022
  • 31 replies

Show first post
This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

31 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Troy Tessalone

unless I manually associate the contact in the Deal, I think there will be no chance for the system to know to which deal which contact should be associated to or vice versa. Actually the only way for it to know is to get the first and last name of the contact as they are identical with the deal name (the deal name was created from the first and last name of the contact as no company is involved) but I think it only works in the zap with the respective ids. 

I can also only choose the deal id (41406..) which it then seems to take for the contact id.

Reversind deal and contact gives you the same result

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@danielajk 

Try using a HubSpot Find Associations step in your Zap:

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Troy,

it seems like it is an issue with Hubspot. They used to have a direct association of the ids of deals and contacts in their legacy CRM but removed the feature in the new version. I wrote to their support and she referred to some of these work arounds:

I am trying to get this to work via the Create New Deal In Stage initial trigger, but for some reason I cannot find a contact or update it before taking the next steps, I can find the value “vid” but  for some reason cannot identify the correct values for the contact information next steps. But maybe I’m also missing something

Some people are also suggesting to work with delays?

Here they somehow can also customize deals, which I could not in my zap:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/APIs-Integrations/Help-Zapier-to-New-Contact-to-New-Deal/td-p/306822#:~:text=Hello%20everyone,,include-contact-ids...

Pretty consequential decision Hubspot made to remove this one feature

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@danielajk 

Give this a try...

This is the ID of the Deal, but you are saying it’s a Contact Object, so try changing that.

This should also be a “Contact”.

Userlevel 2
Badge

HI Troy,

Thanks for your fast reply. I have made another screenshot and included some further information:

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @danielajk 

Based on the error in the screenshot it seems to indicate there is no matching HubSpot Contact for that ID.

Make sure that Contact exists in HubSpot.

Help article about how to change your trigger test data: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/change-the-test-data-in-your-zap-trigger

Please post screenshots with how your HubSpot Create Associations step is configured with the variables mapped.

NOTE: You’ll need to map the internal HubSpot IDs for the Contact and Deal, instead of the friendly names.