Question

How to automate updating Google Ads customer list with Shopify data filtered by marketing consent status?

• 10 August 2023
  • 3 replies

I’m currently working towards fully automating my process of updating my customer list on Google Ads to avoid exporting and uploading lists at regular intervals manually from Shopify.

I only want individuals in the list that are opted in to marketing (email subscriber)

I have set up an automation to cover new customers who, when creating their account on the Shopify, sign up for email marketing. However, I’m struggling to create two additional Zaps that covers customers whose accounts update because they have:

• Previously been subscribed, but later subscribed
  • Previously been unsubscribed, but later unsubscribed

I have been using the ‘Filter’ block in between the Shopify trigger and Google Ads action, however I can’t seem to figure out a way to explicitly make it so that it applies to someone who’s marketing consent status has changed from one state to the other. Would anyone have any insights or tips here? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @VTM_0G 

Good question.

These don’t make sense (perhaps typos)

• Previously been subscribed, but later subscribed
  • Previously been unsubscribed, but later unsubscribed

Unless Shopify provides current/previous values for a data point, you won’t know.

You’d have to log these somewhere to check against. (e.g. Airtable/GSheet)

Hi Troy,

Apologies, it is indeed a typo!

1. Subscribed, then unsubscribed, and
  2. Unsubscribed, then subscribed, is what I meant to say 😊

It’s great to auto-add new subscribers which I’m able to do right now, but I also want to be as GDPR-compliant as possible in the case of subscribers turned unsubscribers, and of course it’s no harm capturing initial unsubscribers who then subscribe later, too.

It sounds like it’s not something that I’m going to be able to do sadly, as I don’t think such a data point exists at this point. I may need to consider still manually replacing the list every couple of weeks. 

Thank you for your response! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @VTM_0G

Troy is correct here. You’d need to maintain a list of folks who have subscribed/unsubscribed in another app like Airtable or Google Sheets. It looks like Shopify’s Updated Customer trigger will output whether a customer accepts marketing:
195dede18d7916e67ccd0deaf876bbe3.png

And it also has a field that states when they changed that setting:
6d0e37ee6d928c4e5e822bc93abd2dee.png

So you could potentially use that as the trigger for a Zap that updates the list of unsubscribed folks with details of they are currently subscribed and when they last updated that setting. It doesn’t tell you whether they were previously subscribed or unsubscribed, but you might be able to make a best guess at by comparing the created_at date and the accepts_marketing_updated_at date. Do you think that approach might work?