Best answer

How can I send 1 email per downloader instead of 1 email per download?

• 30 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

On my website, a visitor can download documents provided she enters her email.

All downloads informations are stored in a gsheet.

Someone can download several documents.

I want to send personalized emails from Gmail with Zapier to the downloaders and inquire if they have a question.

Issue: 

if someone downloads 10 documents, I will send her 10 emails, 1 email every time she downloads something → not a good experience.

Question:

How can I send emails, let’s say one a week and not as many emails as I have downloads?

Is there a way to automatically create a “summary”, and therefore send only 1 email per downloader?

Thanks a lot for your help !!

Regards,

icon

Best answer by GetUWired 30 November 2022, 16:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @SocoCom 

Perhaps you could modify your Zap to work as follows: 

• Trigger: Notified about user Downloading a document
  • Action: Find or Create a Spreadsheet Row
  • Action: Filter to only continue if Zap Search was Found is true (not  a necessary step if you use the unique formula below)
  • Action: Update Spreadsheet Row 

On the spreadsheet i would have 1 column for their email, 1 column for a list of document names they’ve requested, and 1 column for a unique list of documents they’ve requested (formula below).

The find or create step would search by their email address and if not found create a new row

Your update step would add the documents they’ve requested to a comma separated list as shown below. The formula for unique documents requested is 

=JOIN(", ",sort(unique(TRIM(transpose(split(textjoin("|",true,iferror(split(B2,","))),"|")))))) -- Where the row number is added dynamically from the previous step and the column is the document requested column (B in my formula & spreadsheet). 

The formula essentially splits up the document names by comma then rejoins them in a unique list. That way if someone requested the same doc twice you don’t have it written out twice. 

you can then use the guide here: 

to loop through all the rows on your spreadsheet once a week. I would probably add a step at the end of the zap to delete the row once it’s been processed. 

Hopefully this gets you started and works for your needs!

Userlevel 1

Hi @SocoCom 

Perhaps you could modify your Zap to work as follows: 

• Trigger: Notified about user Downloading a document
  • Action: Find or Create a Spreadsheet Row
  • Action: Filter to only continue if Zap Search was Found is true (not  a necessary step if you use the unique formula below)
  • Action: Update Spreadsheet Row 

On the spreadsheet i would have 1 column for their email, 1 column for a list of document names they’ve requested, and 1 column for a unique list of documents they’ve requested (formula below).

The find or create step would search by their email address and if not found create a new row

Your update step would add the documents they’ve requested to a comma separated list as shown below. The formula for unique documents requested is 

=JOIN(", ",sort(unique(TRIM(transpose(split(textjoin("|",true,iferror(split(B2,","))),"|")))))) -- Where the row number is added dynamically from the previous step and the column is the document requested column (B in my formula & spreadsheet). 

The formula essentially splits up the document names by comma then rejoins them in a unique list. That way if someone requested the same doc twice you don’t have it written out twice. 

you can then use the guide here: 

to loop through all the rows on your spreadsheet once a week. I would probably add a step at the end of the zap to delete the row once it’s been processed. 

Hopefully this gets you started and works for your needs!

Thanks a lot ! I’ll go through your comprehensive and enlighting tips right away !

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Awesome! let us know how it goes!